I need a little advice on alert settings.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On windy days, my BI almost tops out the CPU a lot of the time. My trees attract so much attention and so do shadows. The CPU is high a lot of the time. I have DS on my BI machine and would like to know if there are any updated videos or info about proper DS settings. I have watched several, but they don't seem to help. Maybe I'm missing something along the way, but I would like any type of guidance you have, except to go jump in a lake or something like that. ;)I am not an expert with BI by any means, and am finally getting some good time to really start tinkering with my camera setup, and with BI.
Thanks.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On windy days, my BI almost tops out the CPU a lot of the time. My trees attract so much attention and so do shadows. The CPU is high a lot of the time. I have DS on my BI machine and would like to know if there are any updated videos or info about proper DS settings. I have watched several, but they don't seem to help. Maybe I'm missing something along the way, but I would like any type of guidance you have, except to go jump in a lake or something like that. ;)I am not an expert with BI by any means, and am finally getting some good time to really start tinkering with my camera setup, and with BI.
Thanks.
Maybe showing your current settings will help.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And screenshots of your field of views, including if you are using zones, screenshots of those as well.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have the 5442, why not use IVS rules for human and/or vehicle and then let the camera send the motion trigger to BI instead of triggering all night with DS?

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I followed the directions of a guy on YouTube setting up DS. I don't know if he was as good as you guys for setting this stuff up, but it was easy to follow, so I used his settings.

Attachments

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you have the 5442, why not use IVS rules for human and/or vehicle and then let the camera send the motion trigger to BI instead of triggering all night with DS?
So, are you saying don't use DS?
I'm not using IVS rules because I'm not as smart as you guys with this stuff. I've had it for a long time, but have never had the time to really get into it. I'll be trying to get on the same page as you guys, or at least close.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, we are sure we know who you watched and he has burned a lot that come here after their system is messed up.

For daytime, you could use Edge Vector and also use Zones and block out the tree leaves. Right now yours is triggering for the entire image.

Further, you could make the min object size larger unless you want to get triggers for every leaf LOL.

Based on the objects you have in the DS alert, make the min size just smaller than the smallest item on that list.

OR as I said use IVS from the camera because it will trigger for the items you want in DS and eliminate DS.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You say for daytime I could use edge vector and also zones. I just did that and I think it has already helped. I don't know what to do for shadows though. The shadows cause a lot of alerts too.

But back to where you say daytime. Are you saying you have different settings for day and night?

When you say I could make the min object size larger, are you talking in the Motion sensor section? If so, what would you make the min object size? Min. contrast? Min. duration?

Do you even use DS?

I just may need to start over from scratch. I just need to find a good guide somewhere unless you would be willing to screen shot me your different settings for a camera. :lmao:
If I have a good guide, it sure helps. Thanks for the help you have given to me. I can feel the knowledge just sinking in. You better watch it, I may be better at this than you by 2050.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For most of my cameras I have different day and night time motion settings in BI.

Daytime with Edge Vector will knock out a lot of false stuff. At night, because it is darker, edge vector can this miss a lot of stuff, so I use simple for most of my cameras at night.

Min object size is so camera field of view dependent. I have done this enough I can usually estimate based on what the field of view looks like. The best way is to have someone stand out in the camera view and then draw a box around them.

Do you want alerts for every car and person in the street or just on your property? That makes a difference in the min object size. This would be about the size if you wanted people in the street:

1653603763646.png

This camera is more of an overview camera, so you could probably make the make time 1.0 seconds and not miss anything and further knock out a lot of false from the tree.

I have tested my camera field of views with IVS versus Deepstack and in most instances, using the camera AI has resulted in better success. Of course YMMV and it really is dependent on the field of view.

For example, for a tightly zoomed in camera like a Z12E for plate reading duty (LPR), the camera AI sucks as the camera needs time to identify the object, determine if it is something you want, compare it to your IVS rule and then decide to trigger or not. These tight views and it will miss them, especially at night.

I run a few cameras with DS because for that particular field of view, it was providing better results.

Here is an example. At night the camera AI would struggle with this tight view. It has a straight on angle of the street to get a side profile of a car and it would miss it a lot of times because the vehicle just isn't in the field of view long enough, so this is a great candidate for DS.

Now the issue I had with DS is that it would either find a car but the alert image would be the lightshine on the street or just a part of the vehicle, or it would trigger out nothing found due to headlight bounce off the street.

1640050464228.png

DS has a "to cancel" option, which means it will analyze EVERY image to determine if the item is in it. Once I added a cancel banana in the field, it now will go thru all the images and select the best one, which gives me the whole vehicle in the frame and it eliminated the nothing found as well. It makes for scrubbing video much quicker as I can skip looking at video of known vehicles.

1640050718951.png

So even though I am a fan of camera AI, there are instances where DS will be better, or even BI motion detection. I use each one of them depending on the field of view and what is to be accomplished with that field of view.

Here was a thread started where I gave more details as to the AI in the camera:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I need to leave for a bit, but will take a look at this shortly. Thanks so much for info. I'll try my best to be less incompetent. :wtf:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How do you set up your day/night scenario? Is there a thread or someplace on YouTube I can see the proper settings there on how the day/night part works? Thanks.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When you say "This camera is more of an overview camera, so you could probably make the make time 1.0 seconds and not miss anything and further knock out a lot of false from the tree." Are you referring to where it says Min. duration in the Motion sensor section?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You go into profiles and create a Day profile and a night profile. If you have never done anything, they you are on Profile #1 so change that to Day and then take #2 and make it Night. Then you set up the schedule for day/night.

The settings are going to be so site specific based on your field of views. It comes down to trial and error to get the settings correct for what you are trying to accomplish.

But many people simply run just one profile as well. Comes down to your individual needs. Some have profiles for work versus home or vacation or any other reason.

Yep the Make Time is the same as Min Duration in the motion sensor section.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what I need to enable on my Galaxy S20FE phone to get push notifications or texts anymore. I must have done something because I can't get any alerts of any kind from BI anymore. Back to feeling stupid again. :wtf:

Update: I got the push to work. I just have to get the alerts to work properly. I'm getting closer. :banghead:

Last edited: