I guess this won’t buff out!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW!
Judging by the straight line (in red, below), looks like someone didn't support/install as needed or there was a structural failure somewhere. :wow:
Talk about a mess!

I guess the only good thing is that no one was in the pool at the time or standing below it downstairs...they very well could have been knocked unconscious and drowned.

POOL-COLLAPSE.jpg

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve seen quite a few pool collapse videos over the years from in ground, on ground, and sub ground. But can’t say I’ve ever heard of a pool installed directly above a underground parkade!

Like you, am incredibly surprised no one was hurt or died from this event. Regardless, this is a perfect example of using CCTV and proper placement of security cameras and how they can help determine root cause.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Wish that could happen to my pool so I could get rid of the damn thing
One of my "Covid" projects was renting a skidsteer for a week with a bucket and hammer and removing our 18x32' gunnite pool and the decking around it. It was actually easier than I thought and it turned out really well. The cost of the rental was far lower than any quote I had been given to have someone remove it. The only problem now is that I have twice as much grass to mow!

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One of my "Covid" projects was renting a skidsteer for a week with a bucket and hammer and removing our 18x32' gunnite pool and the decking around it. It was actually easier than I thought and it turned out really well. The cost of the rental was far lower than any quote I had been given to have someone remove it. The only problem now is that I have twice as much grass to mow!
I have a pool that I would like to get rid of. How did you handle the rebar, debris, and fill the hole?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a pool that I would like to get rid of. How did you handle the rebar, debris, and fill the hole?
We simply broke the bottom of the pool up enough to allow water to drain well. Then we broke the concrete sides down 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down and then filled in the pool with the debris. I was able to push the dirt that was dug out originally for the pool back into place and only had to get 2 truck loads of top soil to finish it off. We also rented a big dumpster and use it to throw away all the non-concrete stuff like the ladders, plumbing etc. (as well as a bunch of yard crap that was unrelated to the pool).

The biggest "unknown" that I had was how well I would be able to move the dirt around and restore the original topography. I honestly thought I was going to have to bring in a lot of fill dirt. At one point I thought I might need 10 trucks worth. One of my neighbors was going building a pool and thought they would have dirt to haul off, so that is originally what motivated me to tackle the project. In the end I didn't really need the dirt and his project was delayed about a month, so I wouldn't have had his dirt at the right time anyway. It all worked out.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
The issue I have with doing it myself, or having someone cheap do it is that filling back in part. I just don't want that to settle in 10-15 years. So far I've gotten quotes all around $10,000 to get it removed. Renovating is around that price

Either way It seems like I have to spend $10,000!

I plan to build a nice pergola over where the pool is, would love that space back

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, we have nothing but clay in our soil. That doesn't tend to move after being compacted, plus the water sheds off instead of seeping in and our yard has a slope. I don't think it will be a problem, but I'll cross that bridge if/when I have to. Depending on the type of dirt you have, this can certainly be an issue.

10k doesn't sound like a bad price to pay someone to handle it! I'm probably into the project $3,500 (including the dumpster) and that was me doing the work without hauling the stuff off! Our cheapest estimate to do exactly what I did was $7500. (But we also used the machinery to remove a lot of old growth shrubs and bushes around our property that I contractor would not have done so in the end the scope of our project was bigger than what I was quoted for).

Last edited:

rmalbers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wait a minute, why are people getting rid of their pools, I would love to have a pool (I think?) ?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Wait a minute, why are people getting rid of their pools, I would love to have a pool (I think?) ?
Come to my house and take mine!

You need to maintain them, you need to remodel them, it makes your home insurance more expensive, stuff gets in there that I need to fish out, possums drown in there, it uses water which I have to pay for, it uses up space in my garage, it means I have damn PVC water pipes running in my yard that I can't hit

All so I can swim in it twice a year when its just the right temperature here in Houston. Its either too cold, or its 900000 degrees out

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My pool was put in back in 1987. Right now, it needs another new filter, the concrete surround is cracked in several places and needs to be replaced, the rubber between the pool coping and the surround needs to be replaced, the mortar holding the coping needs work, the plaster that covers the gunite needs replacing, and the tile around the top edge all needs to be replaced.
We bought it shortly after buying the house, and it was mostly for our kids. They are grown with families of their own now, so my wife and I RARELY ever use it. So just the cost of running the filter EVERY day, the cost of the chemicals, and our labor to clean it just isn't worth it any more.

One major obstacle for me might be the state of commiefornia. I need to research this, but I think that you cannot legally fill the hole with the debris. You MUST have it hauled off and the hole refilled with dirt. Our house is built on a old river delta and is all sand for 500' down. That WILL settle over time, so that is also a concern. Also being commiefornia, a permit is still required, and those are expensive.

rmalbers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My pool was put in back in 1987. Right now, it needs another new filter, the concrete surround is cracked in several places and needs to be replaced, the rubber between the pool coping and the surround needs to be replaced, the mortar holding the coping needs work, the plaster that covers the gunite needs replacing, and the tile around the top edge all needs to be replaced.
We bought it shortly after buying the house, and it was mostly for our kids. They are grown with families of their own now, so my wife and I RARELY ever use it. So just the cost of running the filter EVERY day, the cost of the chemicals, and our labor to clean it just isn't worth it any more.

One major obstacle for me might be the state of commiefornia. I need to research this, but I think that you cannot legally fill the hole with the debris. You MUST have it hauled off and the hole refilled with dirt. Our house is built on a old river delta and is all sand for 500' down. That WILL settle over time, so that is also a concern. Also being commiefornia, a permit is still required, and those are expensive.
Wow, that's amazing, that does sound expensive! Sounds like a lot of it is the ground it's built on, maybe. I don't think around here I need any kind of permit or anything. I would need a fence of a certain height around it. But anyway, I am surprised by the number of people wanting to get rid of pools in this forum!