Human Tracking illegal ?

Reaction score
I have a "Loryta Outdoor 2MP Starlight 25X" ( SD49225XA-HNR) FROM EmpireTech-Andy.
I have never thought of this but is it illegal to have it do it`s thing and zoom in on people walking by my house? I am in Florida.
I have posted a picture of the FOV. It does show lower down under my house but the picture is of the part in question.
Thanks.

IMG_20220513_201206__01.jpg
Thanks.

Reaction score
I'm no lawyer...but from my many watching of First Amendment folks on YouTube... if it is out in public, it is legal to record. Even inside the lobby of a police station or even post office.
You could even walk up to a police car and record ANYTHING in view from the outside of the car since it's public. Granted, not many know this (even police) and you may get tased :)

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would check your state and local laws. In Texas you can record Public video. But I have read not all can be used in court. Indoor Cam recording require permission. So General rule for us, outdoor CAMs, even on your property, are ok, indoor can be a problem.
Did read about someone pointing their CAM to spy on a neighbor and posting the footage that got them in trouble where they had to stop. So intentional Spying is also a problem...so nothing illegal, no spying in the bedroom of the single woman across the street :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Laws vary by state and local laws. In general if signs are posted, it is because of a law.

Many will place the sign so that people know the audio may be recorded as well. Some states that is an issue, although we haven't seen many instances of someone getting cited for a Ring doorbell. The laws simply haven't caught up yet.

In general, if you can see the same thing you could standing on your property, it is fair game. Obviously do not have a camera zoomed and focused in on a bedroom or bathroom. But with so many having wide angle cameras, you would see more standing on your porch looking in your neighbors window across the street than with that wide angle cam LOL.

I don't know if I were to ask the police - if they tell you wrong information and say you cannot do it, then you put a bullseye on you and they will be looking for the camera.

Research the internet or talk to an attorney. These links may help: