How to Improve Video Quality on iOS Blue Iris?

Ziptbm

n3wb
Reaction score
Loving Blue Iris, but struggling with the video quality I get from my camera feeds through the iOS app.

What's the best way to improve the quality of camera feeds through the iOS app?

Especially, when I'm on the same network. I could use the native camera app (Amcrest in my case) and get full quality feeds. I'd prefer to do everything through BlueIris instead, so I'm wondering how best to enable (if not temporarily) higher quality video real-time video feeds from my cameras through the app. Is this possible? If so, how?

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In the BI iOS app, go to the home page > Settings > video encoder profiles. Here you can choose the encoder profile you’d like to use when on LAN and WAN. Select the highest quality option from the list and see how it looks. If that’s not good enough, you can edit these profiles and increase the bitrate on the BI PC app in Settings > Web Server > Advanced > Encoder Profiles.

It’s obviously a balance of quality vs bandwidth, so adjust to fit your needs.

Ziptbm

n3wb
Reaction score
In the BI iOS app, go to the home page > Settings > video encoder profiles. Here you can choose the encoder profile you’d like to use when on LAN and WAN. Select the highest quality option from the list and see how it looks. If that’s not good enough, you can edit these profiles and increase the bitrate on the BI PC app in Settings > Web Server > Advanced > Encoder Profiles.

It’s obviously a balance of quality vs bandwidth, so adjust to fit your needs.
Thanks, I’ve set them both to 1024 and updated my web server to the same. I really just wish it had a toggle for higher quality when I want it, like switch the sub streams. Is there nothing like that possible?

Some of my cameras have 3 streams, so I’d like to get at least the 1080p stream if I can, especially when on-site. I’ve got a 1gbps fiber connection up/down, so my bandwidth on the premises shouldn’t be the bottleneck.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can probably disable “limit bitrate” for your LAN profile and set the resolution to 1080. That’s how mine is and I have no problems. You could also increase WAN to 2048 or higher if you want.

As for a quick toggle, I don’t know of one, but it’s worth emailing support to request it. They’re pretty responsive to user feature requests.

Ziptbm

n3wb
Reaction score
i just tried disabling the limit on “streaming 0”, but haven’t yet found an option within the BI settings to dictate LAN or WAN bitrates, like I do in the mobile app. Is there a setting somewhere else for this in the server app?
I’ll email support, thanks again for the tips.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I’ve set them both to 1024 and updated my web server to the same. I really just wish it had a toggle for higher quality when I want it, like switch the sub streams. Is there nothing like that possible?

Some of my cameras have 3 streams, so I’d like to get at least the 1080p stream if I can, especially when on-site. I’ve got a 1gbps fiber connection up/down, so my bandwidth on the premises shouldn’t be the bottleneck.
Do you not have an option for CBR 2048?