How to disable BI's overlay playing back D2D?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Currently on BI 5.3.6.5.

OK, it's great that the BI now adds overlay metadata to D2D recordings, so that it CAN add overlay info on playback, if needed.
In the BI console, one can disable 'Add text/graphic overlays from direct-to-disc BVR', but how to disable this in UI3?

UI3 does not seem to allow disabling/hiding that overlay info when playing back clips/alerts, that i can tell.

As it is, I get double overlays (from the cams AND added by BI) even tho I have BI overlays disabled in each and every camera's video config page...

Am I missing something? Please clarify or correct.

Thanx, Paul.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently on BI 5.3.6.5.

OK, it's great that the BI now adds overlay metadata to D2D recordings, so that it CAN add overlay info on playback, if needed.
In the BI console, one can disable 'Add text/graphic overlays from direct-to-disc BVR', but how to disable this in UI3?

UI3 does not seem to allow disabling/hiding that overlay info when playing back clips/alerts, that i can tell.

As it is, I get double overlays (from the cams AND added by BI) even tho I have BI overlays disabled in each and every camera's video config page...

Am I missing something? Please clarify or correct.

Thanx, Paul.
If you disable overlays in the bi cameras video tab you will not get the overlay on the server or UI3.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm seeing the same thing on 5.3.6.5 Apparently it's a little "glitch" that will probably get rectified in another update or two. All of my cameras have always had overlays disabled. What iis interesting is that I had a macro enabled for one, clone, to display temperature and humidity. I've long since disabled that but the words "Temp" and "Humidity" still appear in the playback of that camera but not in the live view. This is a very recent phenomenon. So much for the bleeding edge theory.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Noticing the same thing. Glad it’s not just mine. I’ll still email support to mention it though.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
that's it! thanx F-man. The previous UI had a checkbox to 'enable overlays', that was checked by default. I had all my cams disabled. the update seems to have enabled the 'dispaly overlays' on at least som of my cams. confusing, but I can deal with it...

edit. no, that's not it. or at least not all of it. the web UI still adds the overlay. there's something going on...

Last edited:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
confirmed still getting time/date overlay with 'display overlays' unchecked.
This occurs in the web UI (Ui3) and the android app, for me. (disabled 'add text/graphic overlays from D2D BVR' in the console playback window)

The workaround is to go into the overlay edit dialog and DELETE the time/date overlay, not just have them disabled.

emailed support.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
that's it! thanx F-man. The previous UI had a checkbox to 'enable overlays', that was checked by default. I had all my cams disabled. the update seems to have enabled the 'dispaly overlays' on at least som of my cams. confusing, but I can deal with it...

edit. no, that's not it. or at least not all of it. the web UI still adds the overlay. there's something going on...
There appears to be a bug in the .5 release. I have not tested it. Your post implied it was always like this so I didn’t consider the update.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@pozzello Thanks for that tip. I went in and deleted the time overlay on every camera and that weather overlay I had running for a while and they no longer appear during playback. I guess it's a glitch and will get addressed in a future update. I agree with @fenderman that it appeared in .5 since I didn't see it in .4.

I was holding off on updates, waiting for the next stable version to change before updating with that, but when the new ONVIF feature came out I jumped right in and kept going. Oh well, back to waiting again :thumbdown:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah, that's it. 20 cameras later, and it's all good. too bad the update has to change behavior that way, requiring a manual re-config to maintain the previous...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I see the behaviour in 3.6.5, but all my cameras have the option for webcast overlays turned off as mentioned above as the fix. I have overlays disabled in the main camera settings also. Yes the work around does seem to be to remove the overlay from the edit window of the "display overlays" edit window, though does this add any cpu impact - still processing and adding "nothing"?

I'll email support also - but given the workaround of disabling webcast d2d overlays is already enabled on mine and i see the same behaviour it's a little strange... Does seem to be basically recording the overlay configured in the edit window regardless of the settings...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just had an email from Ken @ support and this does in fact seem to be a feature - though I have suggested that maybe it needs to have a more clear appearance in the camera settings. the "edit" box is in fact recorded on direct-2-disk regardless of any other settings which changed in version 5.3.3.5. The GUI settings merely define where (UI3, admin console) you SEE the overlays. To turn them off on UI3 you turn off the "camera settings -> webcast tab -> add text/graphic overlays from direct-to-disc recordings" - to remove visibilty of them on recordings on the admin console you uncheck "camera settings -> video tab -> display overlays" but if something is defined in the "edit" box there, then it will be recorded to d2d recordings. I've asked if maybe that could be made clearer in the interface as it has confused me and a fair few others.

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow. first time since having serious 100% CPU issues that I've had to edit every camera twice (once to remove it from webcast, and another time to delete the overlay text all together. There needs to be a global no overlays anywhere anytime button.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. first time since having serious 100% CPU issues that I've had to edit every camera twice (once to remove it from webcast, and another time to delete the overlay text all together. There needs to be a global no overlays anywhere anytime button.
Oh the horror.

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh the horror.
LOL I understand your response; but if Msoft sent a CU for Exchange Server that added the date and time inside every email by default (which would can only be disabled inside each mailbox individually) I'm sure people would complain.

Again, love your software; it's by far the best thing out there. So anything I post on here is to help everyone have a better experience.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL I understand your response; but if Msoft sent a CU for Exchange Server that added the date and time inside every email by default (which would can only be disabled inside each mailbox individually) I'm sure people would complain.

Again, love your software; it's by far the best thing out there. So anything I post on here is to help everyone have a better experience.
Its not my software. The developer will never read your post. He has already made changes to how overlays work in the latest release.

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My bad, I assumed that you were involved in dev, because of your involvement in this forum. Anyway an update that does a global change against the grain like this isn't cool.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
FWIW, the latest correspondence with BI support has been with "Sam", so perhaps it's now a 2-person shop? and if Sam is tasked purely with support-related issues, perhaps it will result in more direct presence here on the forum eventually...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, the latest correspondence with BI support has been with "Sam", so perhaps it's now a 2-person shop? and if Sam is tasked purely with support-related issues, perhaps it will result in more direct presence here on the forum eventually...
Sam is the same guy doing the youtube seminars, Sam Varghese. He used to or possibly still does, work for Sentry. I would guess that its a part time gig. I doubt there will ever be a direct pretense on the forum.