Seems like Blue Iris is recommended over running cameras to a NVR. I will have all my PoE cameras running to a junction box. There I had planned to have PoE switch and computer with hard-drive. A few questions (answer any that you can):
- What is ideal setup for dedicated desktop?
- Is there a brand (with specs) people think I should look our for during Black Friday?
- Can I get a Thinkpad Tiny Desktop or something smaller than cold hold up to 2 hard drives (I know Tiny Desktop can probably just hold one?)?
- Assuming yes to #2, could I configure a large internal drive and USB an external drive for backup and erase previous backups?
- This computer won't have a monitor as it will be hidden in a private place. How can I access it from another computer or phone?
- Assume I would need a monitor to set it all up to begin with?
- Will Blue Iris go on the dedicated computer or the computer I want to access footage/real time from?
- Is there a setting in Blue Iris to alert a predetermine phone number?
- People recommend to secure with VPN. Would that go on the dedicated computer or any computer accessing it?
Some background, I will be setting up at least 9 cameras. From this page, I have learned not to focus on 4K cameras but will use those for my example. 9 cameras running 30fps@ 4K would take up 1.3 TB per day. So a 18TB HD (WE Purple Pro Surveillance HDD) would get filled up in 2 weeks. I won't be chasing 4K except for a couple spots where I have good lighting so I know with some good 2MB cameras, the HD should last longer than 2 weeks before re-writing. Excuse any of my naivety or lack of understanding...hence why I am here asking.