How can I Access BI remotly through PC web browser

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all, I feel like this question has been asked before, but I can't find the info I'm looking for. I have BI setup and running on my home pc and have the ios app able to access the cameras remotely just fine, but I was under the assumption that when my network router was setup with port forwarding in the reservations that I could also open PC web browser and enter my public IP with that specific port number and be able to log into the BI web gui.

I know broadcasting my public IP isn't the best and need to setup DDNS but I just got this PC dedicated to BI yesterday and all up and running. it just so happened that we had an occurrence on our property and I wanted to view and scroll through the footage to find the exact moment in time that it took place. this is much easier for me on the web gui on a larger screen rather than the small phone display.

would someone be kind enough to type me through the basic setup steps I need to do in order the use a remote PC to log into the web gui?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to not port forward LOL. It will be hacked and if you look at the login attempts you probably already have bot attempts at it. Lots of threads on this.

Unless you are paying more for a static IP address, perhaps your IP address has already changed and is why you can't see it now.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can take the port forwarding off. I have access to my smart router through my phone and verified the public IP is still the same. if you wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction on a couple of those threads? I searched and only one I found talking about remote web access mentioned something about needing the BI application installed on the remote pc. all i want to access is the web server remotely like I do on my local network.

I'm still learning this software, not too savy on the networking side for security. I mainly rely on reading through the forum here and watching youtube video guides following along. Just recently got a license for BI and want to get it all setup and secure.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found this thread that might help me. I am linking it here so that I can find it later when I am home and have a chance to read it through.

Mike 19

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to use the VPN on your home router if it has one like OpenVPN set that up use it to connect remotely. You can then enter your BI computers local IP and it will pull up the BI web GUI page just like you where at home.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need to not port forward LOL. It will be hacked and if you look at the login attempts you probably already have bot attempts at it. Lots of threads on this.

Unless you are paying more for a static IP address, perhaps your IP address has already changed and is why you can't see it now.
I just looked at the Ui3 javascript :rolleyes:, and it looks like there is more to look at than just making a remote connection module

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Start by studying
I hate studying!

I purchased - TP-Link AC1200 Gigabit WiFi Router (Archer A6 V3) - Dual Band MU-MIMO Wireless Internet Router, 4 x Antennas, OneMesh and AP mode, Long Range Coverage - for open vpn that comes installed. 40.00

Last edited:

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Archer A6 V2 User Guide -

1. Use OpenVPN to Access Your Home Network

In the OpenVPN connection, the home network can act as a server, and the remote device can access the server through the router which acts as an OpenVPN Server gateway. To use the VPN feature, you should enable OpenVPN Server on your router, and install and run VPN client software on the remote device. Please follow the steps below to set up an OpenVPN connection.

Open VPN setup instructions for the Archer A6 V3