How best to clean inside dome and lens

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't really know which forum this should go in, but here is my question. What is the best way to clean the lens and inside of a dome? I have an older HIK Vision that was fogging up at night so I opened it up, replaced the desiccant bad and wiped down the dome. But now while it isn't fogging the image is impaired. I assume I just need a better way to clean the dome and maybe the lens. I have microfiber cloths but what sort of cleaner is best to get it really clean without hurting anything?

Front Driveway 2022-08-13 12.00.12.20 AM.jpgFront Driveway 2022-08-13 12.00.12.20 AM.jpg

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You sure that isn’t condensation?

I just used micro fiber cloth and eye glass lens cleaner solution when I had to replace the desiccant in my 5442. After I made sure the inside of the the lens was cleaned I reassembled the camera and then ran some silicone on the joint all the way around the camera where the two pieces of the camera meet up.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have any of that around. In lieu of a reasonable substitute I guess I'll have to go buy some.

You sure that isn’t condensation?

I just used micro fiber cloth and eye glass lens cleaner solution when I had to replace the desiccant in my 5442. After I made sure the inside of the the lens was cleaned I reassembled the camera and then ran some silicone on the joint all the way around the camera where the two pieces of the camera meet up.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Could also be the fit of the foam gasket around the lens. Especially on an older cam. If that fit isn't good, then you'll get the same sort of IR reflection back into the lens. If the dome looks clear otherwise, that's probably what's causing it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that looks more like IR bleed than a dirty lens.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good point about the IR bleed. I can maybe cobble up a little gasket from some foam around here. And I got some eyeglass cleaner to give it a good clean regardless.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Distilled water is a good cleaning agent, along with a good microfiber cloth.
You are probably getting reflections from that post lamp on the dome as well.
Domes are problematic out doors. They haze up from the UV exposure over time and reflections get worse.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Good point about the IR bleed. I can maybe cobble up a little gasket from some foam around here. And I got some eyeglass cleaner to give it a good clean regardless.
I used some of the more thick (~1/4") craft foam that's sold in page-sized sheets for an old cam that I had.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I made a gasket by shaving down a piece of weather strip and stuck it on. We'll see how this does tonight. This dome is on the north side and beneath an overhang so doesn't get any direct UV. Used to have a much better picture at night and the dome itself looks clean and clear. I also used to have a shield on the back side of the post light before I replaced the whole post light. That did really make it a lot less challenging for the cam. Need to make another one for this light.