Homeless Person Tries To Make My Home His Home

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yesterday during the day my wife and I observed this homeless person acting erratic across from our house so we call 911. Police and EMS was sent, they spoke with him and observed him for about 15 minutes then left.
This morning we woke up and found him sleeping on our property. We call 911 again the police came and chased him off our property and observed him for about 10 minutes then left. At the time of this post he is still across from my house on and off sleeping on a park bench.

View attachment Cam3.20210517_050741-050913.9.mp4

View attachment Cam8.20210517_050746-050903.10.mp4

View attachment Cam1.20210517_050929-050943.14.mp4

View attachment Cam1.20210517_051026-051137.15.mp4

View attachment Cam1.20210517_085342-085448.12.mp4

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
He should have been arrested for trespassing the second time. At least they would haul him away, give him a place to sleep and something to eat before they released him in another part of the city and you would never see him again.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are in the US, then its up to you to press tresspassing charges if he is back on your property. If he is on City property now, you can still report it. I’m sure your local municipality has an ordinance against sleeping in public parks.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Because of this incident it gave me an excuse to buy some more cameras without my wife complaining. There was about 45 seconds he was in the blind spot of the camera that caught him sleeping. I just finished replacing the IPC-T5442TM-AS 3.6mm that caught him sleeping with a IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED 3.6mm and added a IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED 3.6mm to cover the bind spot. I am still dialing them in, below are snapshots taken with the two cameras.
The IPC-T5442TM-AS 3.6mm that I removed will be going in my backyard to cover a door that has a similar blind spot.

Camera 1 2021-05-21 21.12.11.70.jpg
Camera1B 2021-05-21 21.11.52.822.jpg

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those are a clean shoots. What is your distance from camera to object? And how high is the camera installed? No a lot of ligth and you still got a nice image. Mine dont look like that 1. Thanks for share.

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those are a clean shoots. What is your distance from camera to object? And how high is the camera installed? No a lot of ligth and you still got a nice image. Mine dont look like that 1. Thanks for share.
Here is mine 5442 3.8 mm, the sidewalk is around 40 feet from the shoot.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^+1 - that camera is too high and the focus length is a lot closer to the camera and it is lost in the vertical direction being so high. That is evident in the plate being blurry - that vehicle is beyond the distance the camera is set to focus to.

Try to lower if possible.

What is the purpose of the camera - to IDENTIFY a person at what location or is it an overview camera?

Too many areas of concentration - if you want the sidewalk at the street, that is one focal length, the car is a different focal length.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^
This

@oknoob - the OP has gobs of light and enough cameras focused on various choke points to get good shots.

Look how well lit the sidewalk is compared to yours. You need more cameras and focused at different points. Trying to do too much with one camera other than overview.

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, that camera is only for overview. I have another 1 5442 only for my driveway.And in that area dont need for plate.

Reaction score
Yesterday during the day my wife and I observed this homeless person acting erratic across from our house so we call 911. Police and EMS was sent, they spoke with him and observed him for about 15 minutes then left.
This morning we woke up and found him sleeping on our property. We call 911 again the police came and chased him off our property and observed him for about 10 minutes then left. At the time of this post he is still across from my house on and off sleeping on a park bench.
You have my sympathies. Two of my neighbors are dealing with a crazy homeless guy who keeps trespassing on their property. He was a crack addict in his younger days, which completely fried his brain, and now he's convinced that he lives at their house. Every time he shows up he tries opening the doors of the house, then falls asleep on their porch. He has a history of breaking into other peoples' homes in the midtown area. He'll search for money, eat food out of the refrigerator, steal any small items he can find, you name it.

Lately he's been coming up on the porch and using their porch furniture as a toilet. Every time they call the police, the cops show up and haul him off, and he's back the next day. The D.A. won't prosecute him due to mental illness, even though he has a history of violent outbursts.

The wife called me for advice, and I told her she needed to install a camera with human figure detection that could be set up to sound an alarm and turn on interior lights (most of his visits are late at night) to encourage him to move on. I also explained that the right camera could be set up to email one of the police officers at the local precinct when the homeless guy makes one of his late night appearances. I offered a referral to a friend who could set up the camera, but she declined, saying she knew someone who could install another Ring camera for them. :rolleyes: Lots of people have suggested a large dog, but apparently that is not an option for them right now. And of course they don't believe in guns or any other type of self-defense, so they're basically being harassed on a daily basis.

Discouraging a crazy homeless guy who the authorities refuse to prosecute is a homeowner's nightmare. I hope it doesn't happen to you as well.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
This is close to what I have used to keep homeless from camping out at the office. We put it on the roof.
That is a good idea. The only issue would be placing it where he wouldn't be able to disable it.

I wonder if any company manufactures something like this that is specifically intended to be used against two legged intruders?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have that for the side of my house to prevent a neighbor two streets down from thinking it is OK to walk his dog in between houses and in the backyard of others.

Nailed him with it once and now he and his dog stay on the public sidewalk when they pass my house. He won't even let the dog take a pee in my yard now LOL.