Hikvision video feed goes black and fades back in

SK223

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,

So I’m having an issue currently that is really frustrating as it’s causing motion events for no reason. This seems to happen every early morning but basically the camera would’ve already have switched to colour by then, but it seems to me as if it’s resetting the white balance or so but the video will go to black, the OSD momentarily is not seen and the video will gradually increase the brightness back to normal.

I’ve already updated the cameras to the newest version and have also tried to lock the white balance to see if that solves it but nothing yet, any ideas?

Thank you

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What's the camera model?
What's the firmware version?
How is the camera powered?
How is the camera connected, and to what?
It looks like the video has been transcoded, can you attach the original?

SK223

n3wb
Reaction score
What's the camera model?
What's the firmware version?
How is the camera powered?
How is the camera connected, and to what?
It looks like the video has been transcoded, can you attach the original?

So technically the camera is an Annke I91BF and the NVR is also an Annke N48PAW, but I’ve flashed them to the latest hikvision software since they were just rebranded hikvision models.

The I91BF seems to be based on the hikvision DS-2CD2343g0-1, but I matched the firmware using the firmware version property which indicated it was on G1 firmware, so currently it is on v5.6.6 build 210625.

the N48PAW seems to be based off the K74 NVR with help from someone else on this forum, so I was able to flash it to v4.30.085 build 210409. The differences were branding, features, being able to use Hik-Connect and also better general stability as Annke were quite behind on firmware versions and when I asked them for the latest firmware that was Annke branded for the dome cam, they said to me that the firmware that was shipped with the camera was the latest which was from 2019, so out of frustration I decided to find the original firmware to flash it to and so far it’s been great.

Just to make it clear, this issue has always been present so it’s not due to the hikvision firmware, I actually changed to the hikvision firmware in an attempt to solve the issue I’m currently having and the Hikvision firmware has been better by miles.

Originally I was using h.265+ but that was giving me other issues with playback so I reverted to h.264+ but no improvement for my issue.
The camera is connected via PoE directly to the NVR. And the video I attached is from the app, can’t get the original file at this time but I’ll try to later

And as mentioned this only occurs shortly after a scene change. Any opinions or option I can change to resolve this?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a pretty comprehensive description of the setup.

Just to make it clear, this issue has always been present so it’s not due to the hikvision firmware,
So that very likely rules out a firmware bug.

The camera is connected via PoE directly to the NVR. And the video I attached is from the app, can’t get the original file at this time but I’ll try to later

And as mentioned this only occurs shortly after a scene change.
I'd originally thought the effect might be caused by a transient power dip, but that's unlikely as the camera is powered off an NVR.
But maybe worth checking the PoE status (using the NVR VGA/HDMI interface) to confirm there is a good power margin remaining.
Does the NVR have an 'extended PoE' setting?

Do you have any estimates of the cable length, and if the cable might be CCA as opposed to copper?

SK223

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd originally thought the effect might be caused by a transient power dip, but that's unlikely as the camera is powered off an NVR.
But maybe worth checking the PoE status (using the NVR VGA/HDMI interface) to confirm there is a good power margin remaining.
Does the NVR have an 'extended PoE' setting?

Do you have any estimates of the cable length, and if the cable might be CCA as opposed to copper?
Regarding the cable length, the video from the camera I attached in the original message actually has the shortest cable distance to the NVR as I actually laid the cables myself, I’d say approximately 10-15 metres to the NVR. The cabling I used was outdoor cat 5e full copper roll that I terminated and attached the rj45 plugs to myself, with the connection being tested after and everything checked out. Just to note that I have another 3 of the I91BF cameras installed alongside another 1440p Annke camera also flashed to hikvision firmware, but I don’t recall the model number night now. But I’m only having this issue on the I91BF cameras, with all of them having different cable lengths and actually the camera with the longest cable length doesn’t seem to do this.

As mentioned this only seems to happen early mornings sometime after it changes changes from night vision, since today it was another I91BF camera that did the exact same thing but not the one from the attached video.

I don’t have access currently to the hdmi interface as I generally use the browser to configure everything, so is there anyway to check using the browser about the Poe power margin? However I do recall that last time I checked there was plenty of headroom, I’d say about 1/2. Also on the browser interface I don’t see an extended Poe setting. But I personally don’t think it’s a power issue as if I go to the camera image settings and change the white balance, the same exact thing happens.

SK223

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually upon looking at the video again this morning it seems to be a WDR issue, as before the camera goes to black and fades back in the image is overexposed but after it’s correctly exposed. Will try to tweak and will post results

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually upon looking at the video again this morning it seems to be a WDR issue, as before the camera goes to black and fades back in the image is overexposed but after it’s correctly exposed.
You may well be on to something there.