HIKVISION Turret or Dome?

Abhi_new

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All

New to the forum and new to the technical world of cameras.

I am installing around 8 cameras (3 in front of house, 3 at the back and 2 inside).

My question is should I go for Turret or Bullet or combination.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Outside cameras

• Front of house -> 2 would be in the driveway + 1 will be on the side
  • Back of house -> 2 would be at the back + 1 will be on the side
These are models I have in mind:

DS-2CD2685FWD-IZS 8 MP(4K) IR Vari-focal Bullet Network Camera-Hikvision

DS-2CD2H85FWD-IZS 8 MP(4K) IR Vari-focal Turret Network Camera-Hikvision

Inside

• Garage
  • Not technically inside - above garage
DS-2CD2185G0-IMS 8 MP Ultra-Low Light Network Dome Camera-Hikvision

Thanks a lot

Capture.PNG

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All

New to the forum and new to the technical world of cameras.

I am installing around 8 cameras (3 in front of house, 3 at the back and 2 inside).

My question is should I go for Turret or Bullet or combination.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Outside cameras

• Front of house -> 2 would be in the driveway + 1 will be on the side
  • Back of house -> 2 would be at the back + 1 will be on the side
These are models I have in mind:

DS-2CD2685FWD-IZS 8 MP(4K) IR Vari-focal Bullet Network Camera-Hikvision

DS-2CD2H85FWD-IZS 8 MP(4K) IR Vari-focal Turret Network Camera-Hikvision

Inside

• Garage
  • Not technically inside - above garage
DS-2CD2185G0-IMS 8 MP Ultra-Low Light Network Dome Camera-Hikvision

Thanks a lot

View attachment 40873
Welcome, study the Cliff Notes and the Wiki in general.
Turrets will have the least spider issues'.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Turrets and bullets are pretty much personal preference. IMO, bullets can be more noticeable, which can be a plus or minus depending on what you're going for. And like @looney2ns mentioned, the shape of the turret can make it harder <but not impossible> for spiders to spin webs in front of.

Side comment: those all look like 8MP (4K) cameras that use the older, smaller 1/2.5" sensor. There are newer 8MP (4K) cameras with bigger sensors (1/1.8", 1/2.5") that will do better in low-light (i.e. from dusk to dawn).

If you want the best cameras for low-light, look for models that use 2MP 1/2.8" sensor. i.e. Dahua Starlight, some Hikvision Dark Fighter models. These models typically the the least amount of blur when things move. (i.e. if you're trying to ID someone outside of your house in low-light, the details of their face blurring when they move on a higher MP camera can be a problem).

If you haven't already seen it, IPVM Camera Calculator V3 is a pretty cool tool. If you're not going with varifocal cameras (not sure if the Hikvision models you linked to were varifocal or fixed lens), this can help you pick the best lens size.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I would be interested to see how that camera would do at night. ^^^^^^^^^^^ I have the 2MP version and it is excellent at night.

Abhi_new

n3wb
Reaction score
I would be interested to see how that camera would do at night. ^^^^^^^^^^^ I have the 2MP version and it is excellent at night.
Mate I don't want to pay 2k for the camera system and realise that it does not work well ;-)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Specifically camera models that use a 2MP 1/2.8” sensor, like Dahua Starlight or some Hikvision Dark Fighter models.

Because they’re lower-res (2MP), there are fewer pixels on a relatively large sensor. This makes the size of each pixel the sensor larger, which helps the camera capture more light per pixel, which can greatly help image quality in low light.

The 4K/8MP sensor in the models you first posted use a 1/2.5” sensor. While that’s an even bigger sensor, it’s only 10% bigger, and it’s got 400% more pixels (8MP vs 2MP) on it. That makes the size of each pixel a lot smaller, which leads to less light captured, which doesn’t help low-light image quality.

What some folks will do is use the 2MP 1/2.8” cameras on key areas... porches/patios, gates, driveways, etc and then have lesser-important “overview” cameras (that are higher resolution) looking over broader areas (like the whole front or back yard). At night those cameras usually can’t be used for details, but they’re good enough to know when something is happening. Then you can look at the 2MP 1/2.8” cameras to get the details.

It may feel wrong to buy some 2MP cameras in 2019, but Dahua and Hikvision are keeping these 2MP 1/2.8” low-light sensors to themselves. This tech hasn’t made it to consumer brands yet.

Abhi_new

n3wb
Reaction score

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. Does it have 2 be 2mp?
Specifically 2MP models that use 1/2.8" sensors. Hikvision usually labels these models "Dark Fighters". Both of the 2MP links you listed above have that sensor and should do great at night.

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 8.25.28 AM.png