Hikvision stops supporting HikConnect via WiFi on some cameras

ztm

n3wb
Reaction score
I was facing with this problem nowadays. Camera is a 2CD2041G1-IDW1 with the latest v5.5.88 firmware. It refuses connection to the HikConnect server on WiFi. With wired, it's OK. It was strange 'cause I've installed the same camera some 2 months ago and it was working fine. The working camera's firmware is v5.5.82.

v5.5.88 Release Note states that HikConnect is not supported via WiFi anymore on DS-2CD1X43G0, DS-2CD1X53G0, DS-2X41G1-IDW, DS-2X51G1-IDW, DS-2CD2X47G3E, DS-2CD2047G1, DS-2CD3X41G0 cameras. Talking to the distributor they claim that there were hardware changes as well so no way to downgrade without bricking. I don't see any point in this, one more irreducible hit from Hikvision but gotta live with it.

If you need this function do not upgrade your camera!

ztm

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, yes. Absolutely right. But many people out there with ZERO knowledge in networking wants to have remote access to everything that has the word "smart / camera / alarm system" in their naming. For those ticking an "Enable" button and scan a QR-code is more than enough. These masses brought cloud access into being.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
v5.5.88 Release Note states that HikConnect is not supported via WiFi anymore on DS-2CD1X43G0, DS-2CD1X53G0, DS-2X41G1-IDW, DS-2X51G1-IDW, DS-2CD2X47G3E, DS-2CD2047G1, DS-2CD3X41G0 cameras. Talking to the distributor they claim that there were hardware changes as well so no way to downgrade without bricking. I don't see any point in this, one more irreducible hit from Hikvision but gotta live with it.
That is so weird... I am not sure why they would do that.

1. New Features
Newly release (D) models which only support adding to Hik-Connect via wired network, now support adding to Hik-connect via wireless network.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, yes. Absolutely right. But many people out there with ZERO knowledge in networking wants to have remote access to everything that has the word "smart / camera / alarm system" in their naming. For those ticking an "Enable" button and scan a QR-code is more than enough. These masses brought cloud access into being.
Hikvision isn’t marketed to those users. It’s meant to be professionally installed, and managed by an NVR

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That just happened to myself with a couple of DS-2CD2121G1-IDW1 cameras (E3 series), I am glad I remembered this thread.

A customer has one of these cameras working fine for a while, firmware 5.5.92 build 190227. So he buys another one, and is unable to get it working with wifi and Hik-connect, like he does with the old one.

The new one comes with 5.5.98 build 200420. The notes on the 5.5.98 firmware clearly state that "not support adding to Hik-connect via wireless network" and that you can not roll back to previous firmwares.

Downgrading the camera to 5.5.92 or 5.5.97 with TFTP (it won't take the firmware on the web intercafe) leaves you with a bricked/non-working camera. At least it can be recovered with TFTP, so back at 5.5.98 it is working again, but you are left unable to use Hik-connect and wifi at the same time.

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DO you think this will be the future of their doorbell cam too? I was about to buy the doorbell cam, it's only on WIfi. there is not cat6 option for it.

That just happened to myself with a couple of DS-2CD2121G1-IDW1 cameras (E3 series), I am glad I remembered this thread.

A customer has one of these cameras working fine for a while, firmware 5.5.92 build 190227. So he buys another one, and is unable to get it working with wifi and Hik-connect, like he does with the old one.

The new one comes with 5.5.98 build 200420. The notes on the 5.5.98 firmware clearly state that "not support adding to Hik-connect via wireless network" and that you can not roll back to previous firmwares.

Downgrading the camera to 5.5.92 or 5.5.97 with TFTP (it won't take the firmware on the web intercafe) leaves you with a bricked/non-working camera. At least it can be recovered with TFTP, so back at 5.5.98 it is working again, but you are left unable to use Hik-connect and wifi at the same time.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
DO you think this will be the future of their doorbell cam too? I was about to buy the doorbell cam, it's only on WIfi. there is not cat6 option for it.
I do not think so.

But I also can not imagine why someone thought it would be a wise idea to disable Hik-connect over wifi on a camera that has wifi.

KamirZG

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Last available FW for wifi+hik-connect connection was 5.5.32 . From 4/20 it's not possible any more, wire or NVR/DVR.
As far as i know, only cube camera can work with hik-connect when on wifi connection.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last available FW for wifi+hik-connect connection was 5.5.32 . From 4/20 it's not possible any more, wire or NVR/DVR.
As far as i know, only cube camera can work with hik-connect when on wifi connection.
It depends on the series.
The E3 series has Hik-connect support over wifi all the way to v5.5.97 firmware, it was removed on v5.5.98.

KamirZG

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It depends on the series.
The E3 series has Hik-connect support over wifi all the way to v5.5.97 firmware, it was removed on v5.5.98.
Didn't know that. But i believe that they forbiden downgrading from 5.5.98 also :D

ste92

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is so weird... I am not sure why they would do that.

1. New Features
Newly release (D) models which only support adding to Hik-Connect via wired network, now support adding to Hik-connect via wireless network.
should i get some cameras that work in wifi with hik-connect, is there a working model?

ztm

n3wb
Reaction score
should i get some cameras that work in wifi with hik-connect, is there a working model?
It depends. Here in Hunagry at least some of them still supports HikConnect via WiFi. (D) models will not. (HU) models support. Ex.: DS-2CD2041G1-IDW1/HU

ste92

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It depends. Here in Hunagry at least some of them still supports HikConnect via WiFi. (D) models will not. (HU) models support. Ex.: DS-2CD2041G1-IDW1/HU
so would DS-2CD2041G1-IDW1 / HU be fine?

ztm

n3wb
Reaction score
Definitely. I have just installed 2 of them at the end of last week as stand-alone cameras with uSD and WiFi was the only option for internet access. Works with HikConnect. Sad that currently it's the only model that still supports HikConnect via WiFi.

ste92

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Definitely. I have just installed 2 of them at the end of last week as stand-alone cameras with uSD and WiFi was the only option for internet access. Works with HikConnect. Sad that currently it's the only model that still supports HikConnect via WiFi.
I understand thanks!
the important thing is that there must be '' / HU '' at the end? or '' D ''?

ztm

n3wb
Reaction score
I think it's for the Hungarian market only. Try Hungarian web stores, I don't have better idea.