HikVision NVR Menu: Event Hint in Configuration -> Exceptions

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a HikVision DS-7608NI-E2/8P.

Since HikVision camera and NVR documentation is so horribly outdated, inaccurate, incomplete and just plain confusing, I have a question about the "Event Hint" settings under "Configuration", "Exceptions".

I am working with the NVR interface, not the iVMS PC interface or the iVMS mobile interface, all of which are different!

"Enable Event Hint" is a checkbox. When checked, you can then go into "Event Hint Settings", where you can check individual options like "HDD Full", "Illegal Login", all of which are exceptions are defined elsewhere in the interface, but also other things like "Motion Detected", "Alarm Input Triggered", "Intrusion Detected" etc., which are camera features.

Directly underneath the "Enable Event Hint" checkbox, there is another dropdown containing options of "All", "HDD Full", "HDD Error", "Network Disconnected", "Illegal Login", "IP Conflict" and "Record Exception". You have to choose an option regardless of the checkbox. Then once that is chosen, there are checkboxes for "Audible Warning", "Notify Surveillance Center", "Send Email" and "Trigger Alarm Output".

The exceptions and non exceptions in the checkbox don't match the ones in the drop down and the check boxes in the drop down don't match the things to do in other parts of the interface. It is SO frustrating and undocumented.

Has anyone figured this out?