Hikvision NVR & IP Camera WebAccess Nightmare

Pierrick

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I bought 3 DS-2CD2185FWD-I IP Cameras with a DS-7604NI-K1 / 4P(B) NVR.
I can access the live video on each camera by direct access with Chrome on each IP camera address web interface.
But when I connect to the the NVR (with Chrome on the NVR IP address), the live video and the video player fail...

I also tried with IE tab but without success.
Sometimes, when I open the web access, Hikvision Web Components is proposed to be installed (already done...)

Hikvision is a huge nightmare!
Can someone help me to understand how I can watch videos on my NVR?

Thanks!

(Sorry for my poor English, i'm French... ;) )

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try opening the NVR with Internet Explorer instead of Chrome. Some units are way more sensitive to browsers than others, and for many Chrome even with IE add-on doesn't work.

Pierrick

n3wb
Reaction score
Try opening the NVR with Internet Explorer instead of Chrome. Some units are way more sensitive to browsers than others, and for many Chrome even with IE add-on doesn't work.
Better but not for all
I can access Live stream but not the playback...

I was thinking that hikvision was a professional brand so all rock!! but I am so disapointed!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Might be a capacity issue through your router or some obscure setting in the NVR.

Post some screenshots of your NVR and camera GUI settings and see if someone with that model can offer up what setting might be messed up.

Hikvision is a professional brand, but they do not cater to us as consumers.

Most of us here know that the Dahua and Hikvisions of the world do not cater to the "consumer" market - their target audience is professional installers, so we are considered "prosumer" and we are fortunate to get our hands on these types of cameras and NVRs instead of consumer grade junk and not having to go thru professional installers to get quality gear. Now the downside is we get them at a discount and without manuals and support and thus are on our own to figure it out. And we are just fine with that! That is what Google search and this forum is for!

We are fortunate a forum like this exists to help with that. We do not exist in their world and that is their business model and they made the business decision to not compete with the Rings and Nests and Reolinks of the world and as such to do offer these cameras at box stores for consumers to purchase directly. Dahua and Hik cater to the professional installers...and would tell you to contact the vendor you got them from if you have questions or need support...

Contrast that with consumer grade units. You can call a Night Owl or Arlo or Reolink or Lorex or Amcrest or DLink or Google Nest or Ring and speak to a representative (now whether they can help you or not is another story) and for most novice callers they provide good customer service, but they will not tell you to talk to Best Buy where you purchased it...and several of these cost the same or more as Dahua or Hikvision...

Personally I will take better quality cameras and no support and forums like this than crap cameras with customer support that I end up knowing more than the call center person I am calling...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Better but not for all
I can access Live stream but not the playback...

I was thinking that hikvision was a professional brand so all rock!! but I am so disapointed!
Close all browsers, then un-install the plugin you installed previously.
Then open the link in IE (not edge) and it should prompt to install the plugin again for IE.

Pierrick

n3wb
Reaction score
Close all browsers, then un-install the plugin you installed previously.
Then open the link in IE (not edge) and it should prompt to install the plugin again for IE.
Unfortunately, only have Edge and no IE.
Furthermore, How can we imagine to be obliged to use an outdated browser (no more support for IE11 in 2022) to access a professional brand NVR playback!!!!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The current Hikvision firmware uses the 'websocket' facility, and so no longer requires IE11 and the webcomponents plugin.
What version of firmware is on your NVR and cameras?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a well-kept secret that Internet Explorer is baked into Windows 10.

Do as suggested and be amazed at what happens...

Pierrick

n3wb
Reaction score
The current Hikvision firmware uses the 'websocket' facility, and so no longer requires IE11 and the webcomponents plugin.
What version of firmware is on your NVR and cameras?
My NVR: DS-7604NI-K1 / 4P(B) has V4.30.085 build 210409
My camera DS-2CD2185FWD-I has V5.6.5 build 200316

Please advise!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
On both devices, both those versions of firmware should work OK with MS Edge or Chrome or Firefox without the need to install a browser plugin.

Pierrick

n3wb
Reaction score
On both devices, both those versions of firmware should work OK with MS Edge or Chrome or Firefox without the need to install a browser plugin.
Unfortunately it doesn't.
Is there any way to identify and uninstall all old hikvision installed components on my laptop?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My camera DS-2CD2185FWD-I has V5.6.5 build 200316
Unfortunately it doesn't.
I just tested the same camera and version of firmware on Firefox and Chrome under Linux, and video renders normally.

Is there any way to identify and uninstall all old hikvision installed components on my laptop?
In Win10, click the Search icon and use 'add remove' to find the list of installed apps to select those to uninstall.

Pierrick

n3wb
Reaction score
I just tested the same camera and version of firmware on Firefox and Chrome under Linux, and video renders normally.
I will test on another laptop as possible but is the NVR playback working on your side? On my side, the live is working but the playback is KO on the NVR (even from my mobile's browser).
But the playback works with ivms4200 soft on mobile or laptop...

IPCamNut

n3wb
Reaction score
Help. I have several Hikvision cameras that can ONLY use Internet Explorer to access their playback and configuration menus. Edge does not work; Firefox does not work; Chrome does not work. Internet Explorer is being discontinued by Microsoft, and will no longer be available after 6/15/2022 - Microsoft will push users onto Edge. But Edge doesn't work. Somebody said Pale Moon 32 bit works but I cannot get it to work either.

I realize there is supposedly an Internet Explorer compatible setting for Edge - but that doesn't work. I get an error message that says "your browser is not supported" and points me to Internet Explorer. The Edge IE mode is NOT compatible with the Hik cameras.

I have updated the cameras to the latest available firmware from the Hikvision website - they still require Internet Explorer.

Are these camera going to become unusable after June 15, 2022 when IE is discontinued or is there a way to still use them?

Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No clear answer other than have an older computer without internet access to use Explorer:

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use the IE Tab plug-in and set it to IE 11 Standards Mode in options.
No issues with Dahua or HK.
HK 2.png

Last edited:

IPCamNut

n3wb
Reaction score
I use the IE Tab plug-in and set it to IE 11 Standards Mode in options.
No issues with Dahua or HK.
View attachment 127749
Thank you, Wolf4Ever! After struggling with it I got it to work. Hope it keeps working.

For others, you must run the exe app first to set it up. Then you must activate it and choose Internet 11 Standards (not any other # and not forced). Also, I had to restart Edge several times.

Thanks!

IPCamNut

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, Wolf4Ever! After struggling with it I got it to work. Hope it keeps working.

For others, you must run the exe app first to set it up. Then you must activate it and choose Internet 11 Standards (not any other # and not forced). Also, I had to restart Edge several times.

Thanks!

Were you able to get it to AutoRun the camera IP address in IE Tab Mode? I set the IP address to autorun but it's not working - it sticks in Edge mode and gives the error message unless I manually force it into IE Tab Mode and re-enter the IP address. Thanks much.

IPCamNut

n3wb
Reaction score
IE Tab also works in Google Chrome and the Auto Tabs function does seem to work correctly. So it's a little easier to use.

However, the documentation says that IE Tab is based on the Internet Explorer functions that are built into Windows. I wonder if Microsoft is going to remove those from Windows after June 15, 2022 so IE Tab no longer works? Guess we'll find out.