Hikvision NVR FW on Amcrest NVR?

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it’s possible to flash Hikvision FW on an Amcrest NVR? I have a Amcrest 5208.

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wouldn't try it......two different OEM's: Amcrest is re-branded Dahua.

What is it you're wanting to achieve ?
I have the Gen. 2 4MP ColorVu’s from Hikvision and I’m not getting much video configuration options other than the basic brightness/contrast settings from the NVR settings. I also know the cameras have smart AI and special motion detection features that I also don’t see a place to configure.

My thought was maybe it’s not there because the Amcrest just sees it as a generic ONVIF camera and maybe using a Hikvision NVR would allow all features/configuration to be available.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, and that is why it is best to match NVR and camera Brands.

But if you log into the cameras directly (not the NVR interface), you would gain access to those features you are looking for and MAYBE some would come over from ONVIF.

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can log into the camera settings directly via the web portal but that requires me to plug into the NVR to configure since they are on a different subnet. I would like to do this via the NVR settings itself.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can log into the camera settings directly via the web portal but that requires me to plug into the NVR to configure since they are on a different subnet.
Understood...
But isn't there a browser icon over to the right of the NVR's page that shows all the cam's IP's, ports, etc. ?

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
This info may be applicable.

I recently got 5216 NVR from Andy and from what i can see so far there is no internet explorer link in the NVR GUI. For this to work there would need to be a web browser built into the NVR ROM which i don't believe there is. I would be overjoyed to be corrected on this as it would save powering up the laptop.

However

To access the cameras i had to plug my laptop into the nvr lan port and access 192.168.1.108 using internet explorer. Login under Admin. The necessary plugins and active X are installed from the nvr and once this is done you will be NVR web interface. Say no to auto update and p2p enable.

Using laptop on the NVR web interface go to the camera settings page where the cameras are found, initialized and added. This screen looks very similar to the NVR GUI but you will find the required Internet explorer icon to open a web page for the selected camera.

Select camera, login and adjust as required.

You will again be asked by each camera if you want to auto update and enable p2p. I answered no to both

Hope this helps

Griswald

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No luck. I am not able to get to the IP camera web GUI. I have my laptop hooked up to an empty POE port (also even tried the network out port), the camera into a POE port and my laptop IP settings changed to the camera’s subnet (10.1.1.1).

I can hit the NVR with 10.1.1.1 but when I enter the camera, 10.1.1.2, it says site cannot be reached (error connection timed out).

Any suggestions?

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The only way I can get to the camera is if it’s plugged into my laptop directly.

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just curious.....you achieved that by doing what to the laptop's network settings?
Plugging in a 12V power source to the camera, connecting the LAN directly to my laptop and setting my ipv4 settings to IP 10.1.1.99, subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway 10.1.1.1.

Once I do that I can hit the camera via IE/Chrome at static of 10.1.1.2

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Plugging in a 12V power source to the camera, connecting the LAN directly to my laptop and setting my ipv4 settings to IP 10.1.1.99, subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway 10.1.1.1.

Once I do that I can hit the camera via IE/Chrome at static of 10.1.1.2
Sorry to do that to you but you passed "the test".

You see, forum members have to spend a LOT of time with newcomers that have purchased one more IP cams and/or NVR's and have absolutely no idea to connect to the cams, the NVR or even what an IP is to begin with, much less how to set static IP's in a cam or a PC, how to connect directly to the cam and so on...you get the picture (pun intended).

And that is certainly not a sin.

It's obvious you are not in that group which is to your advantage. BTW, although a few won't admit it, all of us started out not knowing everything.. I was in that group but these days I try my best to learn something new everyday, including things outside of this forum. You stop learning, you dry up.

Sorry for the rambling....wife says it's a precursor to dementia. :rofl:

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry to do that to you but you passed "the test".

You see, forum members have to spend a LOT of time with newcomers that have purchased one more IP cams and/or NVR's and have absolutely no idea to connect to the cams, the NVR or even what an IP is to begin with, much less how to set static IP's in a cam or a PC, how to connect directly to the cam and so on...you get the picture (pun intended).

And that is certainly not a sin.

It's obvious you are not in that group which is to your advantage. BTW, although a few won't admit it, all of us started out not knowing everything.. I was in that group but these days I try my best to learn something new everyday, including things outside of this forum. You stop learning, you dry up.

Sorry for the rambling....wife says it's a precursor to dementia. :rofl:
Ha! No worries and I appreciate the transparency.

The cameras will be installed this week but before they are up I need a way to get to the config page via the NVR. Because once they’re up, there will be no way of me getting to the camera config page other than climbing a ladder with my laptop.

Any other ideas?

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
The network cable needs to be plugged into the lan port of the nvr. This is the 1 you would connect to router / switch.

With only the laptop and nvr connected together go to the network settings page on nvr. Note IP address and subnet.

See screen of an example how to network them together but use the nvr settings noted earlier. laptop and not must have different IP addresses but be on same subnet.

Using internet explorer type in nvr IP address in the address bar and go from there.

See also on how to connect to cameras through 1 of the nvr poe ports.

Griswald

Attachments

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The network cable needs to be plugged into the lan port of the nvr. This is the 1 you would connect to router / switch.

With only the laptop and nvr connected together go to the network settings page on nvr. Note IP address and subnet.

See screen of an example how to network them together but use the nvr settings noted earlier. laptop and not must have different UP addresses but be on same subnet.

Using internet explorer type in nvr IP address in the address bar and go from there.

See also

Griswald
FWIW, the instructions from @Shockwave199 that can be found with the link you provided have the PC or laptop connected to a POE port on the NVR, not to the NVR's LAN port as you discuss. His method assumes the POE NVR provides a virtual server (most do) for the cams on a different subnet.