Hikvision NVR factory reset - Need some help

Amir.Idris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All

I have an issue where a NVR ha been factory reset and now not able to view any cameras, platform access offline and it looks like NVR is not connected either as default gateway IP address is missing. The issue I have I cannot add default gateway or tick DHCP for it to talk to the router. I have attached the model of the NVR and its current firmware version, along with setting area, any ideas if I upgraded the firmware it would fix the issue with DHCP and default gateway ? (also need help obtaining the latest firmware version file)

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an issue where a NVR ha been factory reset and now not able to view any cameras, platform access offline and it looks like NVR is not connected either as default gateway IP address is missing.
A dumb question - did you 'Activate' the NVR after resetting it to factory defaults?
If not, it will still be in the 'Inactive' state awaiting Activation.

Check the status with SADP, 'Activate' if required, and set the new password and IP configuration as needed.

Firmware here :
But don't go straight to V4.x or the configuration may get scrambled.

Amir.Idris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A dumb question - did you 'Activate' the NVR after resetting it to factory defaults?
If not, it will still be in the 'Inactive' state awaiting Activation.

Check the status with SADP, 'Activate' if required, and set the new password and IP configuration as needed.

Firmware here :
But don't go straight to V4.x or the configuration may get scrambled.

Thanks for the info, no I have not activated it. If I connect a laptop to a NVR POE port can I use the SADP tool to activate it this way? . my current issue is NVR not connect to the my home network due to default gateway IP address missing and that field is greyed out so I cannot add IP address. Another silly question can I activate it somewhere in the NVR settings itself ? (Sorry I am an IT engineer but know very little about CCTV setups) really appreciate all the help so far :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If the NVR is Inactive, you need to Activate it.
Just run SADP to show the status and Activate if needed, then change the IP settings.

Amir.Idris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If the NVR is Inactive, you need to Activate it.
Just run SADP to show the status and Activate if needed, then change the IP settings.
HI Alistair - I can confirm its active, I enabled DHCP and also manually changed the IP address and added default gateway too via SADP tool, rebooted NVR its still not picking up the default gateway and still no cameras (see pictures attached)

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
DHCP provides IP address, gateway address, DNS addresses automatically.

If DHCP is disabled, all those settings must be added manually, but they must be consistent. In your screenshot, the gateway address is not on the same network segment as the IPV4 address / subnet mask, so it is not valid.

Amir.Idris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
DHCP provides IP address, gateway address, DNS addresses automatically.

If DHCP is disabled, all those settings must be added manually, but they must be consistent. In your screenshot, the gateway address is not on the same network segment as the IPV4 address / subnet mask, so it is not valid.
I did also enable dhcp via SADP thinking it would pick up the correct IP address, subnet mask etc, rebooted the nvr but made no difference what so ever, dhcp still not ticked on the nvr settings area.
I will try adding the correct subnet ip addresses manually via SADP to see if that works.

Amir.Idris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Alastair
NVR is now back online and I can ping it and can also connect on web browser via IP address (see attached SADP IP address screenshot attached)

Next problem..........all the cameras are offline showing password error, any ideas how I can get these working ?

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's some useful progress.
Make sure the NVR password is the same as it was when the cameras were connected, and they should reconnect.

Amir.Idris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well that's some useful progress.
Make sure the NVR password is the same as it was when the cameras were connected, and they should reconnect.
Thanks Alastair for the help so far.

I have tried various passwords (sorry it my neighbours system) and he cannot remember exactly what the password was set to when the CCTV company originally installed the system. The CCTV company are no longer around. Is there anyway to reset the cameras without climbing up to the camera devices them self ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to reset the cameras without climbing up to the camera devices them self ?
There may be - depending on the firmware versions of the cameras.
Connect a PC with SADP to an unused NVR PoE port and see what SADP shows for the camera models and their firmware versions.
Screenshot the result and attach here.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
see attached
That's clear.
I'd hoped that maybe the firmware / models were old enough to have the 'Hikvision backdoor' which would allow the camera password to be extracted.
But V5.5.80 is too new for that.

And I think I'm right in saying that the G0 series of Hikvision cameras didn't have this vulnerability in the 5.5.80 firmware :

from what I can see in Hikvision's eadvisory, and the use-ip.co.uk affected list.
Maybe someone can confirm?

It might be a bit impractical for you with a neighbour system - but there is a PoC from @bashis that can test for that vulnerability.
It would involve installing Python on a PC, changing the PC IP address, and connecting it up to a NVR PoE port.

Amir.Idris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's clear.
I'd hoped that maybe the firmware / models were old enough to have the 'Hikvision backdoor' which would allow the camera password to be extracted.
But V5.5.80 is too new for that.

And I think I'm right in saying that the G0 series of Hikvision cameras didn't have this vulnerability in the 5.5.80 firmware :

from what I can see in Hikvision's eadvisory, and the use-ip.co.uk affected list.
Maybe someone can confirm?

It might be a bit impractical for you with a neighbour system - but there is a PoC from @bashis that can test for that vulnerability.
It would involve installing Python on a PC, changing the PC IP address, and connecting it up to a NVR PoE port.
I think best option for now would be to climb up and reset the cameras themselves, is it matter if just resetting and then plug and play or do I need to add them ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming they have the hatch under which is the reset button -
The process is :
With the camera powered off, ie the LAN cable disconnected (at the NVR by another person?) Keep the reset button pressed, reconnect the cable to power it on, wait about 30 seconds or so and release the button.
This will reset the camera to 'Inactive', the NVR will activate it and automatically add, if the channel is still in the default 'Plug and Play' mode .

Amir.Idris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Assuming they have the hatch under which is the reset button -
The process is :
With the camera powered off, ie the LAN cable disconnected (at the NVR by another person?) Keep the reset button pressed, reconnect the cable to power it on, wait about 30 seconds or so and release the button.
This will reset the camera to 'Inactive', the NVR will activate it and automatically add, if the channel is still in the default 'Plug and Play' mode .
Thanks, its gong to take while, will report back as soon as I can

Amir.Idris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Alistair, update........4 out of the 5 are working after reset, the one camera I was messing about with and changed password before you suggested reset and I have reset this one too but it just sits and identifying, I have also rebooted the NVR and still no joy with this one camera, any ideas ?

Amir.Idris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Alistair, update........4 out of the 5 are working after reset, the one camera I was messing about with and changed password before you suggested reset and I have reset this one too but it just sits and identifying, I have also rebooted the NVR and still no joy with this one camera, any ideas ?
sorry also to add I moved into another POE port in the NVR and still no good

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
the one camera I was messing about with and changed password before you suggested reset and I have reset this one too but it just sits and identifying,
Suggestion :

Check the status of that camera using SADP with a PC attached to an unused NVR PoE port.
If it's 'Inactive', activate it with the NVR admin password.

If you already know the camera password :
You could try changing the mode of the NVR PoE channel to Manual instead of Plug&Play so that you can set the password.
Then change the camera IP address using SADP to match that of the chosen NVR PoE channel.

Amir.Idris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Alastair, once I get the last camera operational. shall I go ahead and update NVR firmware, its currently on V3.4.101 ?