hikvision nvr and opening it up to the internet safe?

alex kelly

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a HikVision NVR DS-7604NI-E1 want to be able to view the cameras from the internet, mainly so I can use imperihome app to view my cameras on the move. I also want to use other softwares on my laptop that will need a direct connection. Is it safe to open the ports below to the internet? IF not, what options are available to me?

RTSP Port
HTTPS Port
Server Port

ps latest firmware installed on the nvr

Reaction score
At first I can say, yes it is safe, the hikvision has the most secure equipments, but you know that nothing is really safe when it is open to the internet. So I don't recommend to have cameras inside the bedroom. I know it is hard to someone "hack" your cameras specifically, but I don't like to give chance to the bad luck.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I know it is hard to someone "hack" your cameras specifically
I'm sorry, but that's very bad advice. It's very easy - too easy.
Actually you might want to check this out : Mirai (malware) - Wikipedia
Home surveillance devices such as IP cameras and NVRs are featuring in massive numbers in existing botnets.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At first I can say, yes it is safe, the hikvision has the most secure equipments, but you know that nothing is really safe when it is open to the internet. So I don't recommend to have cameras inside the bedroom. I know it is hard to someone "hack" your cameras specifically, but I don't like to give chance to the bad luck.
this is complete and utter bs, VPN Primer for Noobs

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually that was a very respectful response given the magnitude of that really bad advice.

Don't open the ports!

Read and follow Nayr's VPN primer linked above.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
IMHO, many forums (in general) have people throwing out their opinion. (not facts)
In this forum, I appreciate participants that call BS. They do it to battle mis-information. To protect the newbies, non-IT folks, and non-security-cam folks.

This site has fact-checking. Any "Alternative Facts" here will be 1) truth checked and 2) vetted.

Very, very valuable.

Fastb
It ain't about "respect", it's about "accuracy"

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
VPN all the way, but please don't use PPTP.