Hikvision DVR/NVR connects only to Hikvision cameras?

Sam Spade

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Hikvision DS-7208huhi-k1. This is an 8 channel BNC + 2 ip camera recorder. I have tried to get this box to connect to my existing Dahua IP turret camera but no luck. It does detect the camera but cannot access it (the little yellow triangle symbol goes beside it)
Every youtube video on the subject of connecting your ip camera to the nvr seems to consist of 1-plugging in ip camera to switch/router, 2-turning on nvr, 3-clicking on the 'detect and connect' function of the nvr and just like that it works -- no horsing around with ip gateway numbers or anything like that. This is not my experience for this system. I've come across an ebay seller of ip camers with a caution that 'only use Hikvision cameras for Hikvision dvr/nvr's' Is this true???
I thought that any ip camera with the ONVIF protocol will work for any make of dvr/nvr.

If you don't know if Hikvision recorders connect only to Hikvision cameras, but do have a Hikvision recorder connected to Non-Hikvision ip cameras, please let me know at least that much. Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Hikvision DS-7208huhi-k1. This is an 8 channel BNC + 2 ip camera recorder. I have tried to get this box to connect to my existing Dahua IP turret camera but no luck. It does detect the camera but cannot access it (the little yellow triangle symbol goes beside it)
Every youtube video on the subject of connecting your ip camera to the nvr seems to consist of 1-plugging in ip camera to switch/router, 2-turning on nvr, 3-clicking on the 'detect and connect' function of the nvr and just like that it works -- no horsing around with ip gateway numbers or anything like that. This is not my experience for this system. I've come across an ebay seller of ip camers with a caution that 'only use Hikvision cameras for Hikvision dvr/nvr's' Is this true???
I thought that any ip camera with the ONVIF protocol will work for any make of dvr/nvr.

If you don't know if Hikvision recorders connect only to Hikvision cameras, but do have a Hikvision recorder connected to Non-Hikvision ip cameras, please let me know at least that much. Thanks.
plug and play will only work with hikvision cameras...if you want to connect the dahua, you will have to manually set it up. Also note that onvif does not mean that every function of the camera will work with the NVR...for example smart events like line crossing will not.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
and for some reason your cameras will go out of sync from the recorder and cause you to pull out your hair and your kids' hair when you need to do playback.

Pete12345

n3wb
Reaction score

Hi, I have an HikVision NVR and although I bought it as a package the cameras were a different brand, CC-TV Global.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
they may be an OEM of HikVision, not sure. You may want to google their name and the part numbers on the cameras

Pete12345

n3wb
Reaction score
they may be an OEM of HikVision, not sure. You may want to google their name and the part numbers on the cameras
Hi, I looked on cctv globals web site and all their cameras sold as kits are with an Hikvision box, so could be. But they work fine apart from the question I asked in the forum. Thank you for replying.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hi, there's a good chance you need to disable the ONVIF check in the Dahua camera. Not sure about new firmwares but 2016 and previous has it on the web interface under Setup (sometimes labeled Config or Set)->Network->Connection->ONVIF tab. Set it to disable.

Once that is disabled make sure you're adding it to the Hikvision DVR with an IP address on the same subnet as the DVR, port 80, Protocol ONVIF, and with your password for the camera.

2018-10-05_1359