Hikvision DS-2DE3A400BW-DE ColorVu - hardware reset button

mrfusi0n

n3wb
Reaction score
Hope this thread is helpful to someone. I ordered a used Hikvision camera from a reputable, authorized US dealer (I'll leave them anonymous for now) and found that it had not been factory reset! It had a non-standard IP address and had an administrator password set. I was essentially locked out of my new-to-me camera. At this point I should have reached out to the company and I think I could have provided them an XML file or QR code and they could have gotten the camera unlocked for me. However, I opted to try to do it myself by looking for a reset button. I wouldn't say I recommend this as it probably voids warranties and may prevent you from being able to return your camera but I figured I would post my findings here as it may be helpful to someone else.

I started by searching these forums for where I might find a reset button. I found that other Hikvision camera models had a reset button "hidden" inside on a circuit board so I thought I'd take a look. I definitely overlooked mine at first since it was SO tiny and really didn't look like a button at first glance. Attached is an image with the button circled in red. I opened up the camera in the following order:
  1. Removed white plastic trim on opposite side from dome. This piece is held in place with plastic clips which snap into place (no screws). Mine has a little gap on both sides to help start removing it. I recommend using a plastic tool for prying to prevent the plastic from being gouged. Something like a guitar pick or tools for opening a cell phone might be best.
  2. Remove top/heat sink cover. Removing the plastic trim in step one reveals a number of screws. Four inset screws hold the heat sink cover to the rest of the camera body. There were also 5 screws that were set much higher. No need to remove these screws. I think they just hold the plastic cover to the metal heat sink.
  3. Reset the camera! Near the edge of the circuit board (circled in red in the attached image) is a tiny button labeled "SW2". Press the button with something small and non-conductive. I used my fingernail but putting your finger on the electronics while powering it on might not be the best idea. Following guides elsewhere for resetting Hikvision cameras, press the button with the camera's power OFF. Then, while still holding the button down, plug the camera in and continue holding the button down for 10 to 20 seconds. Done!
  4. Reassemble camera.

Attachments