hikvision ds-2cd2232-i5 doesn't recognize local hard drive

Reaction score
I'm new to the IP camera scene and just purchased a hikvision ds-2cd2232-i5, I'm running PC IVMS 4200 so their is no NVR. one thing I noticed is in the camera settings it's not recognizing my PC's local hard drive. Does it expect to only use a NAS therefore needing IP network address?

Patrick

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the exact same issue, I installed a 2nd HD into my computer and the storage server now sees the 2nd drive. the storage server only sees the 2nd HD, I can format it configure it, but when I log into the cam itself I can't see it. The only way I can get the system to record right now is if I were to load up IVR4200 manually and hit the record button

If you find any tips please let me know.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The storage available to IVMS-4200 (an application running locally on the PC hardware) and the network storage available to the DS-2CD2332-I5 camera (a different, separate device in its own right connected to the network) are not related.
The only way to get the camera to store data on the PC local hard drive is to create a network share and user account on the PC (which for Windows will nominally use the CIFS/SMB file-sharing protocol) and configure access to it using the 'Storage' menus of the camera. The camera can record to that share, quite independently of what IVMS-4200 can record to the PC hard disc.
I hope that makes sense.

Reaction score
Yes it does make sense. Once I set up the share the camera should see it. I thought my drive was already shared but I will look again maybe it was just folders.

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That clarifies some of my issues. I'm using an i5 as my NVR now my confusion is do i use IVR4200 to record or do I setup recording individual on the camera when i log in.

ALso if I share a folder on the PC I only want a few people to see this, how to I log into the camera and specify this as one of the users?

I shared with everyone, logged into the cam set the recording path, it's using the DNS name not the ip address of the computer to record. (i can't seem to change this) when I go to record it claims it can't create file, yet if I access this share via other PC i can read and write no problem.

Right now I fired up the IVR4200 and manually am recording, but it's not the setup I want.

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've not seen any problems in using an IP address when defining a network storage destination for a 2xx2 series camera. The implication of course is that the IP address is fixed.
There are unfortunately some limitations though on using a Windows PC as the storage target for a 2xx2 series camera.

Depending on the firmware version of the camera, there is a size limit of a bit under 250GB that can be successfully used with the 2xx2 series IP cameras.
For firmware version 5.2.0, above that size the network volume that the camera has been connected to will return to the 'uninitiallised' state after it has been formatted.
The net result is that unless the share is created on a small partition, or you are able to apply a per-user or per-share size quota, you will not be able to use a Windows PC share as a storage target for a camera.

But there are some threads on this forum on the topic where I believe people have explored this and found ways round this limitation.
And I haven't explored whether it's been changed in 5.2.5 or later versions of firmware.

If I need to save any recordings to a network device other than an NVR, I use a NAS device. It's on 24/7, and being Linux-based has plenty of flexibility for sizing shared volumes.