Hikvision 5.1.6 Firmware

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Was playing with the new Hikvision 5.1.6 firmware and discovered the following enhancements;

• TEST buttons galore, for Email, NTP Time Server, FTP & NAS Config. Now you can see if the camera can connect to these servers, before it was just a guess
  • EVENTS - Dynamic Analysis for Motion works, sometimes it didn't in prior versions.
  • Port Mapping - for some reason it's enabled by default where it was unchecked before
  • DDNS - same as above, enabled by default were it was unchecked before

I tried using a CIFS mount on my WD NAS but as before, it formats it, but is offline, works for some, not for me, no improvement in 5.1.6, at least for me. Did not try NFS. This is still region dependent firmware, meaning if you install it on a non-English camera, it will be in Chinese. The firmware is out on Wrightwood's Support forum.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool, the lack of test buttons was freaking annoying.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's weird is with all the other releases, they have release notes, what's changed, but with this one, there's nothing. Keep us posted if you find release notes.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Upgraded all 3 of my cams, of course the Chinese one was the most involved but still pretty easy. TFTP'ed 5.1.6 onto it, enabled Telnet, uploaded the hacked davinci file. Seems like we have a good work-around for them being jerks and not leaving us with a dropdown to choose english.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramias

n3wb
Reaction score
Upgraded all 3 of my cams, of course the Chinese one was the most involved but still pretty easy. TFTP'ed 5.1.6 onto it, enabled Telnet, uploaded the hacked davinci file. Seems like we have a good work-around for them being jerks and not leaving us with a dropdown to choose english.
I did the same thing (loaded the English firmware from the Europe site but I didn't get a language mismatch error -- I was able to load via the GUI) then after rebooting the camera it was in Chinese. So I had to telnet in and get the hacked davinci file from 5.1.2 on there -- but I thought that was rolling back the firmware.

I guess I don't know enough about how these work. What constitutes the firmware?

The file I download? The hacked davinci file (that must be a smaller piece of the firmware).

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I did the same thing (loaded the English firmware from the Europe site but I didn't get a language mismatch error -- I was able to load via the GUI) then after rebooting the camera it was in Chinese. So I had to telnet in and get the hacked davinci file from 5.1.2 on there -- but I thought that was rolling back the firmware.

I guess I don't know enough about how these work. What constitutes the firmware?

The file I download? The hacked davinci file (that must be a smaller piece of the firmware).
Did the 5.1.2 version of the hacked file work on 5.1.6? The firmware is the whole linux OS that runs on the camera, the davinci file is just a part of the firmware.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 5.1.2 version of the hacked file as you put it, when used with 5.1.6 firmware is 100% guaranteed to brick the camera, don't know if that's what you mean by working, LOL. If you want to try it, and who doesn't after my endorsement, do it with a camera with an easy to get to reset button, reset it and then use TFTP to recover, that works.

To do 5.1.6, do it the way I described in my initial write-up for 5.1.1, just search for the first few bytes as the last few have change, but the fix is the same. Someone commented that the file I posted was copyrighted, so I don't publish it anymore, doesn't mean you can't do it. If you got the camera at Wrightwood, they can provide you the file as long as you agree it's copyrighted and should not be shared publicly.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5.1.2 version of the hacked file as you put it, when used with 5.1.6 firmware is 100% guaranteed to brick the camera, don't know if that's what you mean by working, LOL. If you want to try it, and who doesn't after my endorsement, do it with a camera with an easy to get to reset button, reset it and then use TFTP to recover, that works.

To do 5.1.6, do it the way I described in my initial write-up for 5.1.1, just search for the first few bytes as the last few have change, but the fix is the same. Someone commented that the file I posted was copyrighted, so I don't publish it anymore, doesn't mean you can't do it. If you got the camera at Wrightwood, they can provide you the file as long as you agree it's copyrighted and should not be shared publicly.
Glad I got a hold of all of the Chinese firmwares and associated modded davinci files to make them English. I don't see how they can say any of it is copyrighted, they run Linux on their cameras and the whole OS is GPL.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I downloaded the firmware from both Hikvision Europe and Wrightwood, they are almost the same, 3 bytes are different. Anyone know why? From what I understand, these are not English modded.

View attachment 648

Checksums here:
MD5 - Wrightwood f9b9d55c5ad22a7551d1a53cf5b654ac
MD5 - Europe 17156ae661ac4fe61cda4bc5b80c00ec

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
It's some kind of relationship between those 3 bytes in the firmware and some code burned into the rom of the camera that tells it what language to give you in the web interface.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Figured it out - the firmware from Europe won't load in my Chinese bought cameras. These 3 bytes prevented the firmware from installing.

Heuer

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like Hikvision Europe have pulled 5.1.6. No longer listed on their portal and previous posted links go nowhere. Was there a problem with it?

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess that resolves me looking for 5.1.6 and what it fixes, for the time being. I have some other stuff to sort out first anyhow.

luisc202

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have the English 5.1.6 firmware? I cannot locate it myself.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why did the English version of this firmware become "hard to find"?
Hikvision's European division pulled it and I thought it was missing at Wrightwood the last I checked a day or so ago.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Forum member Heuer downloaded it before they pulled it and gave it to me to post publicly, so it's there now, ready to download either version.