Hik 2522 cam on Costco/Swann NVR?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Trying to help my neighbor add one more cam to his working 8-cam setup ["so the 3x3 view doesn't have missing square", he says... ;-) ]

It's a Costco-special Swann branded unit CONVRB163MP, which I gather is a SWANN 7090-derived model,
which in turn is OEM'd from and similar to Hikvision 7616 series units. it has 8 Poe ports powering the 8 cams that came with the system, and 8 more ethernet ports labeled 'LAN' that are not powered.

The cam I'm trying to add is a Hikvision 2522 (2MP mini dome) with 5.4.1 firmware. Using SADP tool, I have 'activated' the cam and set an admin password and IP matching the IP range of the DVR's internal NIC (172.16.1.10 for that port). Plugged the cam into one of the non-PoE ports via a PoE injector and see the IR's come on and after a few moments, it 'clicks' when the IR-cut flter is pulled back (daytime) so I know it's alive. I have also disabled 'rtsp authentication' and the 'invalid login lockout' on the cam.

But nothing I have tried allows the NVR to 'see' the cam at all. Tried 'plug & Play' and 'Manual', tried SWANN and ONVIF as the 'protocol' for the port in the NVR camera edit page, as well as ports 80 and 8000. Entered the password more times than i care to count. Almost always get 'unknown error', but once got 'incorrect password', which was encouraging, but haven't been able to recreate whatever settings got me there...

How long does it usually take for these NVR's to 'notice' a new cam once properly configured? Not sure I've waited more than 20-30 seconds after each iteration. Perhaps i need to wait longer?

Hoping someone out there with the same NVR unit has managed to get Hik cams working with it and can give me some specific tips or guidance. I'd like to be armed with more data before I spend more time over there. I found a couple related threads here, but they seem to range from 'no hope' to 'i gave up', tho you'd think if the NVR supports ONVIF, it should be do-able...

Thanx, Paul.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Plugged the cam into one of the non-PoE ports
A long shot - but is it possible that the 8 non-PoE ports are simply behaving as a switch such that they will connect to LAN IP addresses?
But you know the IP address associated with the LAN port you plugged it into, so that idea is probably a non-starter.

If you plug the camera into a LAN router/switch port (not on the NVR), give it a LAN IP address, and in the NVR config, set a LAN channel to Manual and assign it the same LAN IP address, does it connect?

Also - have you tried the Hikvision camera in one of the NVR PoE ports?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
good ideas as usual, Alastair. i'll try it on one of the PoE ports as well as on the LAN side next time I have access.