Hiding in the network

Reimo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi

Dahua video network security question.
I have a task to hide Ip cameras in the network. Currently I have a network where cameras get their IP address from dhcp static list and no other foreign device gets IP address. But still if "tresspasser" connects with static IP of without IP, Configtool shows all cameras nicely making camera network address also known. What technology or protocol Configtool uses to browse the network cameras? I realize that after that NVR also will not autofind anything anymore, but I need to block it somehow. How?

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do the cams have to be on the same network physically?
Best would be to have them on their own network, either via VLANs or by having them on their own switches which connect seperately to the NVR.

With VLANs, if the static DHCP list is on 192.168.1.X, you could have the cams on 192.168.2.X or any other IP you want. Those will then be isolated from eachother and you could make a rule that only the NVR can access the cams VLAN.

How the ConfigTool works:
In the ConfigTool you can set an IP range for it to scan, say 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254, then it will go on the network and send an ARP request to each IP address within this range.
So it'll start with 'Who has 192.168.1.1', if the answer is 'Zhejiang Dahua etc.etc' it'll know there is a cam on there and make it show up in the list.