Help with network setup

John Joseph

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

this probably something really simple I’m missing ….

so I have the following hardware (UK)

Virgin Media Hub
Zyxel GS-1920-24v2 managed switch
Zyxel GS1008HP PoE switch
HP elite desk PC (2 network cards)

and the wiring is as follows:

ROUTER -> managed switch
Managed switch -> PC (network card 1)
Managed switch -> PC (network card 1)
PC (network card 2) -> PoE switch
PoE switch -> cameras

I have added the managed switch to nebula zyxel, but the switch shows as offline ..none of the cameras are visible either on blue iris on the pc.

I’m sure I’m missing something really simple.. can anyone shed any light for me ?

thanks

John Joseph

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you confirm this is the physical layout?

View attachment 95382
Hi,

yes this is the physical layout. For the IP config - I will check that when back home. Previous to this setup, I had the cameras running directly from the router via a different PoE switch and these had an IP assigned to them from the router config. Sure I had to do port forwarding on there but it’s been a few years now.

All that’s changed now as we had the house networked and the router, pc and switches etc are now centralised in a data cabinet.

John Joseph

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is the IP configuration of both NICs? And what is the IP information of the Managed switches, and cameras?
Hi,

I have the following-
NIC 1 - 192.168.0.20
NIC 2 - 192.168.1.2
Managed switch - 192.168.0.46
Poe switch - connected to NIC 2, IP 192.168.1.??

the cameras were on the main network but I’ve since plugged them into the PoE switch.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you know if your cameras were set to DHCP, so they get an IP Automatically?

My thinking is either they are, and you have no DHCP server setup on the 192.168.1.X network, or your cameras all have static 192.168.0.X IP's

To test, simply set the NIC 2 to have an IP you are reasonable sure nothing else has in the 192.168.0.X network to avoid a conflict and try access your cameras. If you can, then see what their IP configuration is, and change them to the 192.168.1.X network

If they are set to DHCP and now are not getting an address, just plug the PoE switch into the main switch so they all get DHCP from the 192.168.0.X network, then log into each one and set a static address on the 192.168.1.X network. When you save you won't be able to access the camera anymore which is fine, move the switch back into the PC and everything should work. Or setup a DHCP server on something in that network

John Joseph

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you know if your cameras were set to DHCP, so they get an IP Automatically?

My thinking is either they are, and you have no DHCP server setup on the 192.168.1.X network, or your cameras all have static 192.168.0.X IP's

To test, simply set the NIC 2 to have an IP you are reasonable sure nothing else has in the 192.168.0.X network to avoid a conflict and try access your cameras. If you can, then see what their IP configuration is, and change them to the 192.168.1.X network

If they are set to DHCP and now are not getting an address, just plug the PoE switch into the main switch so they all get DHCP from the 192.168.0.X network, then log into each one and set a static address on the 192.168.1.X network. When you save you won't be able to access the camera anymore which is fine, move the switch back into the PC and everything should work. Or setup a DHCP server on something in that network
Ahh yeah that makes sense - I’m pretty sure they were set static IPs