Help with IP conflicts and POE networking

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
New to IP systems and running into issues configuring my Dahua NVR and cameras. As I didn’t have enough runs, I purchased a couple POE Extenders (1 to 4). From what I experienced, the NVR assigns a specific address depending on the POE port that’s being used. As 4 cams are plugged into one port via the extender a conflict occurs.

I tried plugging in one at a time and changing the IP address before adding the next. This worked for some time but then NVR changes them back for some reason. And on those cams, I was unable to reach the cameras GUI via the NVR after the IP address was changed. So the first question is can I control the way the POE switch in the NVR manages the assignments?

If this isn’t possible then would I add an external router and plug it into a POE port in the NVR staying in that subnet. Or a switch without a DHCP server?

Thanks.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, you can add a simple switch, plug the NVR and the cameras you want into it (switch then connects to your LAN) and the NVR will see them and you'll be able to add them individually. These would be on your LAN IP net and not the 10.1.1.x net the NVR PoE ports use

This is a 5232 that has 16PoE ports and he's added some cameras via a switch from the LAN network
comboPoEandExternalswitch.jpg

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, you can add a simple switch, plug the NVR and the cameras you want into it (switch then connects to your LAN) and the NVR will see them and you'll be able to add them individually. These would be on your LAN IP net and not the 10.1.1.x net the NVR PoE ports use

This is a 5232 that has 16PoE ports and he's added some cameras via a switch from the LAN network
View attachment 68459
Thanks.
What I learned from trial and error, and a lot of errors: If using an extender so multiple cameras use the same port, I need to add them one at a time and change the IP address. When changing the IP address, I must unselect the "Enable ARP/Ping to set IP address service" in the TCP/IP window to stop the NVR from changing the ip back to the default value and causing the conflicts. Only thing that sucks is that to access those cameras directly, I must unplug them from the NVR and connect then and my laptop to a separate switch.

Couple other cool things I figured out. I can use my MacBook and safari to connect to the NVR and then to the cameras with unaltered ip addresses. Next I found that I can make many changes to all the cameras with the DMSS app on my iPad. I have tested it and changes from the DMSS app do get saved on the camera itself.

Attachments

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Excellent. Didnt know about the Enable ARP/Ping trick
Wish there was a handbook that explained what every setting did. I spent time setting up tripwires on all cameras then afterwards turned on h.256 and Smart Codec. The next day i realized that smart codec turned off IVS.

Luckily I can remote into my home computer and play with the settings on my off time.

Oh, just realized I can access the NVR via my iPhone via VPN.

Attachments

Opeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there a question about cameras ip. Im use an dahua nvr poe built in and i plug only 1 camera. Me default gateway is 10.0.0.1.i set the nvr to static 10.0.0.10. Then plug the camera and inintialize the camera from the nvr and set the ip to 10.0.0.11. The camera shows ok and the nvr set the ip to 10.1.1.65. What is my camera ip and how i find the cameras ip? Is the ip i setup the first time 10.0.0.11?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Wish there was a handbook that explained what every setting did. I spent time setting up tripwires on all cameras then afterwards turned on h.256 and Smart Codec. The next day i realized that smart codec turned off IVS.

Luckily I can remote into my home computer and play with the settings on my off time.

Oh, just realized I can access the NVR via my iPhone via VPN.
So this setting hasn't caused a conflict to reoccur? How long did it take for the conflict to happen the other way? Have you tried rebooting the NVR to see if your settings stick and a conflict doesn't reoccur? Not sure about the 4 cams on one line. Typically you'd do it like this-

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi there a question about cameras ip. Im use an dahua nvr poe built in and i plug only 1 camera. Me default gateway is 10.0.0.1.i set the nvr to static 10.0.0.10. Then plug the camera and inintialize the camera from the nvr and set the ip to 10.0.0.11. The camera shows ok and the nvr set the ip to 10.1.1.65. What is my camera ip and how i find the cameras ip? Is the ip i setup the first time 10.0.0.11?
First, you don't need to change the IPC IP address manually because as soon as you plug it into the NVR's POE port, the NVR will change it to the address associated with that specific port. To stop this you would need to unselect "Enable ARP/Ping". Now the camera will communicates with the NVR via port 37777 and not Port1 where the camera is plugged in. A down side to doing this is that you will no longer be able to log into the camera's GUI via the virtual host on the NVR.

The only reason I did this is so I could plug in two cameras into a single POE port by use of an extender. I didn't have time to run new Cat5e cables and needed to get the system up and running in a short time period. It is very possible one day when I return, that I might run the lines and remove the extenders. In hindsight, a non-POE NVR and separate POE would have been a better choice more my needs.

Opeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok get it. But when i plug camera for the first time and want to initialize it it ask for ip. I will stay with the default ip and the nvr will accosiate after?

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok get it. But when i plug camera for the first time and want to initialize it it ask for ip. I will stay with the default ip and the nvr will accosiate after?
Change nothing. Follow the instructions in this post.