Help with installing a surface mount jack

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was installing my new Amcrest 5mp camera when an accident happened while trying to take off the RJ-45 weather proof cover, while in the process I ripped off the female poe plug. While researching my options I found the surface mount Jack that would allow me to strip the wires and add a new Jack to the camera.

However every tutorial I have seen shows 4 pairs (8 wires), and my Amcrest 5mp poe turret camera only has 6 wires.

Orange & orange/white
Green & green/white
Brown
Blue

Brown and blue dont have any white counterparts. How do I install the 8 wire jacks with only 6 wires?. I searched for 6 wire mounts but found nothing.

fstfrd50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What model camera do you have) Some Amcrest use Dahua pin out diagram. There’s plenty of info out there.

IMG_4243.jpg
IMG_4242.png
IMG_4239.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

fstfrd50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes you can use an 8 wire jack the remaining are not used. Lol I’m driving check out the video. You’ll get a good idea of how to repair. Adjustments.jpg

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Thanks for the video, I did notice another option in that video and the follow up video, which is splicing in a Male RJ45 and using a coupler. Although I'm not prepared to buy all that equipment, and every video I have watched show 8 wires coming from the camera, while mine only has 6 wires. I'd like to find out why that is.

I guess my next move is to get a cheap ethernet cable and try to splice a male into the camera, then use a cheap coupler. That might be easier than dealing with the surface mount jack. I just hope I dont fry the camera experimenting with different colors if they are different than mine

Thanks for your help.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve carefully dissected the broke off female end before and I could see exactly what wires went to what pins. Then I made a half patch cord and soldered/ heat shrink the wires to the half patch cord. But then you’re left with a male end on your camera.

fstfrd50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here’s another quick alternative to repairing the RJ45 jack. Doesn’t require any special tools. You’ll just have to use electrical tape for a waterproof connection if it’s going in a junction box outdoor. Adjustments.jpg
I have used these before and it’s been nearly 2 years since I last used one and my camera is working properly to this day. I did use dielectric grease on the ends to keep the connections solid.

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve carefully dissected the broke off female end before and I could see exactly what wires went to what pins. Then I made a half patch cord and soldered/ heat shrink the wires to the half patch cord. But then you’re left with a male end on your camera.
Maybe the colors will perfectly match making it easy, but I'm still left with two extra wires that have no counterpart to my camera. All I can think is the ethernet cord on my poe camera has only 6 wires because it does not need the hot and ground wires. Possibly if I cut open the power plug on the pigtail it will have 4 pairs.

I'll get it done. Thanks

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here’s another quick alternative to repairing the RJ45 jack. Doesn’t require any special tools. You’ll just have to use electrical tape for a waterproof connection if it’s going in a junction box outdoor. View attachment 85677
I have used these before and it’s been nearly 2 years since I last used one and my camera is working properly to this day. I did use dielectric grease on the ends to keep the connections solid.

I already ordered a 1ft cable with a male at one end and female at the other. So I'll try splicing the male end into my camera. One good thing that came from this was discovering liquid electrical tape that paints on the wires. In my many years of splicing wires I never knew that existed. I also never knew about dielectric grease, ill get some of that, thanks.

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you get your Amcrest camera back in service?
No I did not. I tried splicing a female in, but that piece had 5 solid color wires and the wires were cheap and thin, not cat5e. So I just ordered another camera about 30 minutes ago. I'll fix the other camera later properly when I have more time and mount it outside the building

I do love the quality of the picture on this Amcrest $50 5mp camera. I was surprised. And the app is excellent.

fstfrd50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got the same camera you have that I placed on sides of the house that are blind spots facing east & west from each other. Great picture and sound overall. Best bang for your money.

Adjustments.jpg

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got the same camera you have that I placed on sides of the house that are blind spots facing east & west from each other. Great picture and sound overall. Best bang for your money.

View attachment 85882

Agreed, from what I've read they are rebranded Dahuas. I'm going to buy two of the HD PTZ cameras in a few weeks. The three main selling points for me were they have 256gb sd card capacity, have H.265 compression and are onvif compliant. A lot of camera for $50. Also NVR software for the PC I have not tried yet

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you get your Amcrest camera back in service?
I bought a RJ45 jack today and installed it, camera works fine. The colors matched other than having two extra connections that my camera does not have. Besides being unaware of the A&B arrangement, I stripped the wires first and they kept slipping out slots, youtube videos revealed they don't need to be stripped beforehand, the slots themselves cut into the wires. So it was a good learning experience.