Help with install

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently stumbled across this board and I'm currently in the process of putting cameras on my home. I'm looking at hanging 3-4 cameras on the the fascia or under the eves of my home. I've had a few companies out who have quoted me on a system but they're unable to install cameras on all sides of the house unless they run conduit along the side of the house. I'm pretty OCD and I don't want conduit run along the side of the house. So I've opted to put cameras where the fascia/eves are and point them in different directions to get the most coverage I can get. I know this won't cover all sides of my home, but it is better then nothing. Can you provide me some input for what you guys would recommend? Would it be better to hang a turret type camera on the fascia of the home or a bullet type camera under the eves? I've read the sticky which advises to stay way from dome cameras because they attract spiders. I was thinking I would hang 2 in each corner that would criss cross and cover the drive way. Then install one facing the front door (camera view from behind) and one facing down the opposite side of the house (along where the rain gutter is located). I'm open to suggestions, locations to purchase, and equipment to purchase. Thank you in advance for your time and I look forward to reading your responses.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently stumbled across this board and I'm currently in the process of putting cameras on my home. I'm looking at hanging 3-4 cameras on the the fascia or under the eves of my home. I've had a few companies out who have quoted me on a system but they're unable to install cameras on all sides of the house unless they run conduit along the side of the house. I'm pretty OCD and I don't want conduit run along the side of the house. So I've opted to put cameras where the fascia/eves are and point them in different directions to get the most coverage I can get. I know this won't cover all sides of my home, but it is better then nothing. Can you provide me some input for what you guys would recommend? Would it be better to hang a turret type camera on the fascia of the home or a bullet type camera under the eves? I've read the sticky which advises to stay way from dome cameras because they attract spiders. I was thinking I would hang 2 in each corner that would criss cross and cover the drive way. Then install one facing the front door (camera view from behind) and one facing down the opposite side of the house (along where the rain gutter is located). I'm open to suggestions, locations to purchase, and equipment to purchase. Thank you in advance for your time and I look forward to reading your responses.
HI @MissionHockey

Do you know what the exterior wall construction is like?

To get good placements of the cameras you will need to drop them low enough.

The best option is to work from the garage, remove the dry wall and insultation behind the areas you want to put cameras and drill through the stucco / vapor barrier / OSB / wiremesh / exterior insultation.

Remember to make a good seal when done with the hole.

From the Garage you should be able to mount
2+ cameras covering the driveway,
1-2 covering the walk to the front door
1-2 cover one side of the house.

Reaction score
HI @MissionHockey

Do you know what the exterior wall construction is like?

To get good placements of the cameras you will need to drop them low enough.

The best option is to work from the garage, remove the dry wall and insultation behind the areas you want to put cameras and drill through the stucco / vapor barrier / OSB / wiremesh / exterior insultation.

Remember to make a good seal when done with the hole.

From the Garage you should be able to mount
2+ cameras covering the driveway,
1-2 covering the walk to the front door
1-2 cover one side of the house.
The exterior of the home is stucco. I've seen some of my neighbors mount the cameras to their fascia boards/eves. Do you not recommend doing this?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Eaves will be too high to get identification quality video. All I can say is that installations like yours are what fish tapes were made for. I can't tell from your photos, but unless you're on a slab, drilling up from below and using a fish tape would handle installing low enough.

On another note, turrets are the preferred form factor over bullets with domes only being appropriate for indoor use.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Even on the first story they'll be too high. 7.5' is about the maximum that will allow identification. Also, keep in mind focal length comes into play as well. A 2.8mm lens will need someone within five feet or so to get a good ID shot. 3.6mm will go out to about 10 feet and 6mm will go out to about 15 feet.

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At the eaves you will only get top of heads.

It is mainly only the old domes with a circle ring of IR around the lens that attracted the spiders - even bullets with that configuration will do that. Any good new dome (turret) will only have 2 maybe 4 IR LEDs and not the whole circle ring.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I was at US Bank yesterday, and I noticed they had a Dome PTZ outside on the Stucco wall at the sidewalk entrance but you'd have to be a Basketball Center to reach it. Probably 10 feet high. It must be more for the Parking lot than people.

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mounting on eaves are great for overview cams to see that something happened but unless they are within 5 feet of the camera and look up at the camera, you cannot make any identification if it is a complete stranger. You need to decide if the cams are for observation or identification - that drives the locations.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're eves are way too high. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
As stated, a camera mounted higher than 8ft, will only see the tops of heads. Your eves appear to be closer to 10-11ft.
Study this: Cliff Notes
And this

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Some folks on here say you can never have enough camera's. You could start out with the easy installs and see what these guys are talking about as far as what they capture, and add a camera here or there to compensate and go from there. Maybe you'll add some low mounted camera's after you "see" how they work. If the Garage Door is 7 feet hight then your up at 8.5 feet on a cam hanging under the eaves. Thats how I started out too. They are good over view cams. But they dont see faces sharply. they are 2.8mm 5MP nightowls.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was at US Bank yesterday, and I noticed they had a Dome PTZ outside on the Stucco wall at the sidewalk entrance but you'd have to be a Basketball Center to reach it. Probably 10 feet high. It must be more for the Parking lot than people.
So mounting to the eves/fascia boards would not be in my best interest regardless of the cameras I purchased?
Please do see the cliff notes... we've covered this topic numerous times...

hint: It's all about the angle.. all about the angle and effective pixels on target

Use a test rig BEFORE drilling any holes and play around with placements...