Help: Clip: Disk not ready errors (yes, me too)...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a single 5TB internal HDD for video clips (D:) that is used exclusively for all clip storage. DB and other OS files are on an SSD (C:).

I'm getting the dreaded "Clip: disk not ready" error periodically. There are no clips that aren't readable from the console or UI3, so these seem to be phantom errors. Since I have push notifications turned on for any system error, it's driving me mad. Yes, I can disable the notification, but I'd rather get to the bottom of what's causing them to trigger in the first place.

I am putting all recordings in a single path (everything goes in the "New" folder). That storage is set to delete when it reaches about 85% of the available space. Nothing is set to move or based on time.

When the errors come, the come in waves. I've deleted and rebuilt the DB. I've moved to an external HD. I've even tried using my NAS for storage. Ultimately these errors return. I have no clue what's causing them:

1604762999956.png

Since this is now on an internal SATA drive, I cannot imagine that it's a connection issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you more the clips to different devices are then still going to the same physical drive ?
Have you looked at the S.M.A.R.T data errors from the drive?

What version of BlueIris?
What is your CPU and memory ?

Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
2) blue Iris status cameras tab
3) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)
4) on two of the camera properties the record tab.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
When you more the clips to different devices are then still going to the same physical drive ?
Have you looked at the S.M.A.R.T data errors from the drive?

What version of BlueIris?
What is your CPU and memory ?

Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
2) blue Iris status cameras tab
3) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)
4) on two of the camera properties the record tab.

Thanks @SouthernYankee -

Not moving clips at all...

Running 5.3.3.14, on Windows 10 Home. CPU is i7-4970, 16GB ram. CPU is typically between 60 and 80%, currently 75%. Ram is at 7.25GB.

The problem resolved on it's own about an hour after I posted this - as it usually does. Comes and goes. That's what's frustrating.

1604786545147.png

1604786606577.png

1604786713851.png
1604786725942.png
1604786733576.png
1604786810801.png

I wasn't quite sure what you meant by "on two of the camera properties the record tab", but added one camera's record properties. They're all set the same way.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have not seen that type of problem on an internal drive, I have seen it on a NAS and on an external USB. NAS / USB have problem with random record (block) writes, they are fine for writing whole files.

if the drive is internal check the drive with a S.M.A.R.T. utility.
Also may be a loose drive cable.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Have not seen that type of problem on an internal drive, I have seen it on a NAS and on an external USB. NAS / USB have problem with random record (block) writes, they are fine for writing whole files.

if the drive is internal check the drive with a S.M.A.R.T. utility.
Also may be a loose drive cable.
Thanks for the pointers. I'm doubtful it's a drive issue since all of the drives (USB/NAS) I've used all exhibited this same issues - and in the same way... excessive warnings (usually after a reboot or restart) that last up to an hour, and then all works well. If it was a loose SATA cable, or a failing drive, the problem would resolve on other drives, or so I would think.
In any case, here's the SMART info:

1604804040658.png

I was just hoping I wasn't the only one. I suppose for now I can disable the global error warning, but I hate treating the symptom vs. the cause.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Unlikely but check advanced power mode settings?

But I wouldn't expect things to be seen as idle and you'd see it more frequently and on a more regular basis if it were spinning down the drive, suspending USB, etc.

Try running chkdsk for file system errors?

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Unlikely but check advanced power mode settings?

But I wouldn't expect things to be seen as idle and you'd see it more frequently and on a more regular basis if it were spinning down the drive, suspending USB, etc.

Try running chkdsk for file system errors?
No issues with chkdsk, and with constant read/write spinning down just doesn't happen. Though advanced power settings did have HDD turning off after 20 min. I've disabled that just now. Given that BI runs as a service, it is continuously writing to the drive, I would HOPE windows wouldn't suspend the drive.

With this being a problem across multiple drives - including a shared drive on a NAS - I'm really don't see how this would be a drive-specific issue. I'm game on troubleshooting everything tho...

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't think the drive either if across multiple devices as you described. That's why I was trying to think of something that would affect drive, USB, network, etc. But power management doesn't seem likely to me either. Makes me think more something with BI not seeing things as ready for whatever reason.

Maybe setup Resource/Performance/Reliability Monitors when it's happening and see if you can see anything unusual.

Might check the logs in Event Viewer around those times. BI errors look to show up under Windows Logs > Application as 'Application Error' so you'd have to sort (click header) and step through those. Fortunately you have times to go by to narrow the search.