Help choose a camera GEOVISION GV-LPR2800-DL vs Vivotek B9365-LPR-W vs Vivotek IB9387-LPR-W vs ???

scotty562

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking for the best lpr camera I can find under 2k and I don't need to order through a dealer. It will be used on a private lane with traffic going under 30 mph. I want it to do all of the processing directly on the camera and either spit out license plates to a log file or just be available if I want to review them and stored on the camera itself. I'm open to other cameras, but these just looked like obvious candidates browsing b & h photo. The Geovision is my top pick so far, but this is my first lpr camera so I'm open to any and all advice. I want to avoid Hikvision and Dahua.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Someone will ask, so let's just get it out there...why avoid Hik and Dahua?

scotty562

n3wb
Reaction score
Security issues. Specifically with Hik I don't like that it installs multiple programs that are always running.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
EVERY camera has security issues. It is why most of us here isolate cameras from the internet. If you don't use P2P and UPnP, no reason for the cameras need to install any other programs on your system. My Dahua's have not installed any other programs to work and I completely set them up on a computer that does not have internet access before I install them on my system.

Hacking vulnerabilities are the same regardless of who makes the cameras...or any IoT for that matter...and that is why most of us here isolate our cameras from the internet...it's just irony that they are surveillance cameras...it flows better saying security cameras are not very secure but many here do not consider them security cameras as they are for surveillance!

And our wonderful government decided to ban Hikvision and Dahua from government installations due to being partly owned by the Chinese government and the potential to be hacked...yet fail to recognize the real problem are the cameras can be breached and then they get exploited with other manufacturer cameras because they failed to isolate them from the internet. End result is people/governments that shouldn't see the camera feeds are now seeing them...

Yep, instead of our government forbidding public agencies from using Chinese brand cameras like Dahua and Hikvision because they could be used to be spied on by the Chinese government, they should have been looking at what the real issue is, and it is this issue that will be same regardless of who makes a camera. You need to get the cameras off the internet period.

We have already seen countless examples where governments facilities that installed expensive AXIS cameras that are NDAA compliant were hacked into...

And of course other camera companies are now going to try to use this ban to their advantage, but as a consumer, you need to decide what marketing nonsense to believe and which one to pass on.

Regardless of who makes the camera, it should be limited in its ability to reach the internet. So at that point, go with the camera that is going to give you the best chance of a good capture.

scotty562

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not interested in a security debate here. I don't want random Chinese software ON my pc that means Hik is out. Maybe Dahua is different, but I'm not interested in finding out. I understand the camera itself is unsecure which I account for. I can't account for the random Chinese software on the computer itself unless I put it on its own pc that doesn't have internet access.

Back to the topic at hand, I like the IB9387-LPR-W is growing on me. The web interface looks like it does exactly what I'm looking for.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That has a focal length of up to 13.5mm, so as long as the vehicle is within 30ish feet of the camera, you should be ok.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't have to use Hikvision, Dahua, Geovision, or most other IP cam software to view the cams. I have a variety of cams and don't use any of their software to view them. Once in a rare while might fire up their set up tools for convenience but there's nothing that I NEED to use or anything that needs to be installed that's always running on any machine other than the cam itself.

Geovision was one first and the worst cams that I've used. They've all been trashed since. Maybe better now but looking quickly at their current offerings doesn't really look like it.

And they have their own security issues as most others do:

Reaction score
The Geovision is a 5-50mm cam as per their website. It has a 1/2.7" 2MP sensor.

GV-LPR2800-DL - IP LPR Camera (built in Recognition Engine) - License Plate Recognition - Products - GeoVision

The Vivotek 9365 comes in two flavors: 12-40mm and 4-9mm. The 12-40mm would be the best for that distance. It has a 1/2" 2MP sensor.

The Viotek 9387 is a 2.7-13.5mm which I would not use for this distance range. It MIGHT be ok, but why chance it. Better to have more zoom and not need it than not have the focal length and need it. It has a 1/2.7" 5MP sensor.

As I doubt anyone here has used any of these cams, about the best we can do is give OPINIONS based on published specs. I would stay away from the IB9387 as not having enough lens. The IB9365 12-40mm has enough lens and a bigger sensor than the other two. It might all boil down to the processing ability of the cam and any software you use and compatibility.

Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking for the best lpr camera I can find under 2k and I don't need to order through a dealer. It will be used on a private lane with traffic going under 30 mph. I want it to do all of the processing directly on the camera and either spit out license plates to a log file or just be available if I want to review them and stored on the camera itself. I'm open to other cameras, but these just looked like obvious candidates browsing b & h photo. The Geovision is my top pick so far, but this is my first lpr camera so I'm open to any and all advice. I want to avoid Hikvision and Dahua.
not sure about Geovision but some models of Vivotek uses Sony Pregius sensors which from my testing does best at night.
Hikvision , dahua, Huawei high end also uses Sony global shutter cmos ( gcmos) sensors.

scotty562

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. The Vivotek IB9365-LPR looks like the way I'll go. Interestingly b&h has the sensor size wrong on their website.