Hello

Chango

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Tony, gwminor48, and CanCuba for the nice welcomes!
I just ordered a system from Andy today and am looking forward to getting it up and running.
I'm going the NVR route, I don't feel confident in my computer abilities to start out with Blue Iris without someone to guide me in person.
This forum really helped out on my camera selection and saved me from wasting good money on poor cameras.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Since your username is Chango, I have to ask if you're into Santeria. Doesn't matter either way but I live in Cuba where it's very popular.

Chango

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Garycrist, Well I ended up buying 3 of the B5442-E-Z4E cams. I wanted the PTZ one but can't afford it now.
I will need to find a wide angle for the front driveway (400' long) to see the UPS guys coming but first need to figure out how to set it all up and get it running, I have lots of foliage to contend with.....

Chango

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Since your username is Chango, I have to ask if you're into Santeria. Doesn't matter either way but I live in Cuba where it's very popular."

CanCuba, Someone close to me used to practice Santeria. I have a background in religions and philosophy among other subjects.
How are things on the Malecon? Too bad the US doesn't get off Cuba's back. Most people here don't realize how terrible it is for citizens of other countries when a trade embargo is put on a small nation.
Best wishes.

Chango

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Andy, Thanks for the advice on the cameras and NVR. I look forward to receiving the shipment. I'm still on the fence on Western Digital Purple HDD or something else, there seems to be some quality issues at WD or some questionable resellers on one of the major sites (not you Andy).
I have the Cat6 cables picked out, solid copper direct bury.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Andy, Thanks for the advice on the cameras and NVR. I look forward to receiving the shipment. I'm still on the fence on Western Digital Purple HDD or something else, there seems to be some quality issues at WD or some questionable resellers on one of the major sites (not you Andy).
I have the Cat6 cables picked out, solid copper direct bury.
get good WD surveillance drives from this seller on ebay.
all 4 of my WD Purz's are purring along as we speak.
1682578162978.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Only if you can't hear them. They sacrifice a little silence for performance. i have 2 versions of 8TB, actually a generation different as well. the the 5640 RPM version is much quieter than the 7200 rpm version in my 2 use cases.
NOW they have a newer generation actually called Pro...I havent tried one of those yet.
I think my 5640 Rpm drive is doing a great job, it's recording about 2/3rd's of the cameras in an 18 camera system. The rest are on a 5TB White label WD drive and doing fine.

Last edited:

Chango

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is a huge help. I think I will start with the standard Purple. 8TB.
When I get the PTZ I will add a Pro.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
"Since your username is Chango, I have to ask if you're into Santeria. Doesn't matter either way but I live in Cuba where it's very popular."

CanCuba, Someone close to me used to practice Santeria. I have a background in religions and philosophy among other subjects.
How are things on the Malecon? Too bad the US doesn't get off Cuba's back. Most people here don't realize how terrible it is for citizens of other countries when a trade embargo is put on a small nation.
Best wishes.
I'm not a religious person but I do find ceremonies interesting. A lot of people I speak to feel that Santeria has been monitized in the past several years. And many people investing large sums often could use the money for other important things ie. repairing their home, saving money for the future, etc.

There's a huge fuel crisis in Cuba right now. So much that they're actually developing a mobile app to find out when one can buy fuel ‍♂♂

Chango

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately lots of grifters gravitate to religion to ply their trade. Been going on for a long time and no signs of abating.
How much is a litre of diesel in Havana?