Hello, new here.

avspin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi I'm Steve from Reno, NV
I've been using Q-see for a about 6 years now. I upgraded my system to 4k IP about 2 years ago. I ran cat 5e all over. Currently Q-see has announce it's going out of business Jan 31st and saying if I want to view my cameras remotely I have to turn on DMZ for the IP of the NVR. I'm not all that comfortable with that and looking for new options.
My cameras, QCN8093B are pretty good as far as the specs and would love to keep using them.
I build computers as a hobby and have a bunch of gaming computers sitting here unused and from reading through the wiki I have some questions.
Can I just plug the 16x cameras into my 16 port POE switch then into a computer with Blue Iris software?
Or buy a new NVR
*** The most important question is will the Q-see cameras work? They are pretty expensive and I'm trying to keep cost down. 8MP, H 131Deg V 111Deg, 160ft nigh vision.

This site has a lot of info and I've been reading through the posts but could not find a beginners guide with basic info such as this, unless I missed it in the wiki.

Thanks!!!!!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi I'm Steve from Reno, NV
I've been using Q-see for a about 6 years now. I upgraded my system to 4k IP about 2 years ago. I ran cat 5e all over. Currently Q-see has announce it's going out of business Jan 31st and saying if I want to view my cameras remotely I have to turn on DMZ for the IP of the NVR. I'm not all that comfortable with that and looking for new options.
My cameras, QCN8093B are pretty good as far as the specs and would love to keep using them.
I build computers as a hobby and have a bunch of gaming computers sitting here unused and from reading through the wiki I have some questions.
Can I just plug the 16x cameras into my 16 port POE switch then into a computer with Blue Iris software?
Or buy a new NVR
*** The most important question is will the Q-see cameras work? They are pretty expensive and I'm trying to keep cost down. 8MP, H 131Deg V 111Deg, 160ft nigh vision.

This site has a lot of info and I've been reading through the posts but could not find a beginners guide with basic info such as this, unless I missed it in the wiki.

Thanks!!!!!
Welcome @avspin

Those look like Dahua OEM 8MP bullet cameras - they should work well with Blue Iris.

Just need to sync IP / port / user & password / substream info.

1611013947702.png

avspin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is a relief!
Is there a diagram or instructions on how to connect network to switch to cameras?
Plug network line into switch, plug cameras into switch, plug switch into computer? That leaves me 14 cameras on a 16 port switch, correct?
Thanks for quick reply.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
plug the computer into the switch so all the traffic is not going thru your router I think is the way I was told to set it up. router into switch. might need a 24 port. 802.3af would work but if you upgrade any cameras to PTZ's they usually require the 802.3at standard ( more power per port)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You will want to note the ip address range of the cameras in the NVR. and if they are dhcp or static addresses. dahua uses the scheme with 192.168.1.x If yours is a dahua rebranded camera it hopefully is in this IP scheme. You could get started with 14-15 Cameras today. and Blue Iris PC. some other camera junkie will be along shortly to give you some routing VPN UI3 info for remote viewing....My system is off line

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
in Blue Iris you will find +add new Camera in Main Menu. when you click on add new cam, it will offer a camera number name input space. if the number it offers is ok with you click OK. the next window look at the upper right. choose or click on "find/Inspect." then Blue Iris will "look" for and return ip addresses of found camera's I believe. If you enter a known ip address for a camera, it will return info for that camera if it is the same IP range as Blue Iris PC I believe.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
i wonder if the cameras are set up as DHCP or static IP's. Maybe the router would assign an 192.168.1.x address to the cam.

avspin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ran an IP scan and the last three digits of the 10.1.1xxx do not match up to IPs that are 192.168.1.xxx Some are being used. But there are a bunch, more than the number of camera's but most are labeled dead.
I think tomorrow I will unplug a couple from the NVR and plug them into a switch to see what happens.
I will post back results.
Thank you for your help.

avspin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the Q-see Config tool and downloaded the Dahua. Both very similar, obviously same software. Both found the NVR. I had more options on Dahua. After I opened and looked at the Q-See I installed the Dahua and it over wrote the other so I can't use both.
I can batch modify the IP. Has a "start IP" box with a check box for same IP, then "subnet mask" box, and last "gateway" box. If I enter an IP will it change the cameras or the NVR?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the address scheme of the home network router ? 10.10.x.x? What is IP address of computer? Im not familiar with qsee’s config batch tool. I think if you are still connected to the NVR you can try a batch change. But if your home network is on 10.10.x.x then you could leave it.

avspin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Home is 192 The NVR is in 192. Within the NVR interface I can modify the the IP. I changed it to an open 192 and the NVR says "Cannot connect to network. I "assume" if I change it then remove it from the NVR and just plug it directly into my home network it will be found in Blue Iris or any other camera software? Is it that simple? Do I need to change the port from 37777 to something else?
Sorry for the lack of understanding. When I started it was easy to just buy a kit and plug and play. Now I have a crash course just to get remote viewing. I travel a lot and like being able to see my cameras from anywhere in the world. I can just leave the Q-see to monitor at home but it's hard to back.
Thanks again for your help.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
So i think You mean that you assume if you change a cam to a 192 scheme it will be found by bi and the network? Then yes.

avspin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I used the "modify IP" within The NVR to give a camera a new IP that was unused on my IP scan.
Plugged the camera into an POE injector and plugged that into my network.
Waited a few minutes and nothing. Tried a different IP and the same. Also I opened Dahua IP Config tool and not there.
Sitting here feeling frustrated I caught a glimpse of the config tool with another device pop up.
Turns out the camera is now there but the original modifying IP did nothing as my network or the camera gave it a different IP.
Since I have not installed Blue Iris yet I set the camera up in Amcrest an it worked. I also used Tiny Cam Pro app on my phone, also worked.
Which leads to me be believing that all I have to do is just plug the cameras into my network, wait 10 minutes, and view them though a Blue Iris computer or DVR.
Yeah! Or am I celebrating too quickly?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1)What is the IP address of your router ?
2) what is the IP address of your PC ?
3) What is the IP address you set the camera too ?
4) do you have a group (block) of non DHCP address defined in your router
5) what is the make and model number of your router ?
6) can you successfully ping the IP address of your camera from the PC ?

=====================================
Private ip addresses. Local IP addresses. These addresses are NOT used by the internet. They are for your local home/business network.
10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

Note there is no reason to redact local ip addresses when posting.

avspin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1)What is the IP address of your router ?
2) what is the IP address of your PC ?
3) What is the IP address you set the camera too ?
Camera IP in NVR is lister as 10.1.1.129
I set to 192.168.1.127 (in NVR) but it was assigned to 192.168.112
4) do you have a group (block) of non DHCP address defined in your router
no
5) what is the make and model number of your router ?
sagemcon RAC2V1S
6) can you successfully ping the IP address of your camera from the PC ?
yes

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you should be up and running, you should be able to access the camera login page for a browser. You may not be able to see the video as most old cameras are not compatible with the new browser rules or HTML5. if you can access the login page, it should have the same user name and password as the NVR.

If you plan on using static IP address you need to set a DHCP range in your router (2-200) , then assign the camera IPs outside this range (201-254) .