HDW5x31R-ZE Replacements

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been in talks with Andy and despite being on holidays in China, he responded elsewhere to inform me they 5x31r-ze's are no longer in production.

And so whilst I await his further offerings, I would like suggestions from Andy's possible offerings as to which "motorised" camera I can use instead.

I am fitting a system for the girlfriend this time in her sandwich shop and the shop is in another town. Therefore, my main stipulation is being able to use google remote desktop in order to zoom and focus remotely. If they need to pan, I am happy to do it manually or have my girlfriends family do it.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just bumping this one, is there a camera with a motorised lens like the old 5x31's?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Seems like all of the newer 1/1.8” sensor cameras are all fixed lenses. They are also smaller in size which explains why no Varifocal support.

Did Andy say there was no existing stock of the 5231’s either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did Andy say there was no existing stock of the 5231’s either?
I need 7-9 cameras and Andy hasn't got eough of them but I've asked for his remaining units. Are there any other manufacturers with a motorised les then?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Some of the Hikvision turret cameras have varifocal lenses as well. No mics but they are the same “form factor”. Take a look at the Hik webpage. I came across one quickly

DS-2CD2H25FHWD-IZS

I’m sure there are more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't need sound, there's a new 2231 "S2" varifocal turret model that actually does a little better at night than the 5231 varifocal turret:
Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera | IP Cam Talk

If it can be a bullet, the new 5442 varifocal bullet has better low-light performance than just about anything out there now:

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bloody nightmare this, she does want volume and I've started by purchasing a BI specific PC and 8TB HD.
She won't be pleased I can't do what I've shown on my previous setups.

Why would Dahua downgrade them instead of bringing out another cheaper line without the motorised lens.

I hate it when companies get run by accountants trying to gain ever more profit.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why would Dahua downgrade them instead of bringing out another cheaper line without the motorised lens.
The 5231s were part of the older "Pro" series that got replaced by the newer "Pro AI" series. The nice thing about the "Pro AI" series is that the image sensor jumped to 4MP 1/1.8" which does better in low-light than the 2MP 1/2.8" sensor found in the older Pro series. But for whatever reason, I haven't seen where either Hik or Dahua are making varifocal turrets with the newer, bigger sensors, which means the "Pro AI" varifocal options are just bullets and domes. The only "Pro AI" turret option is fixed-lens.

The 2231s were part of the less expensive "Lite" 2MP series which didn't come with microphones. The new 2231 (S2) is an update to that series. Same image sensor, but better low-light performance. No mic still though.

Last edited:

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well thanks for that but it is not necessarily an upgrade. I could get wonderful pictures before their improvements. Only now I've lost a features of motorised focus and sound.

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was wrong about the new 2231 (S2) being part of the new "Lite AI", .. it's still part of the older "Lite" series.

The new "Lite AI" series (3x41 models) look like they have varifocal turrets with microphones.

4MP

2MP

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well thanks for that but it is not necessarily an upgrade. I could get wonderful pictures before their improvements. Only now I've lost a features of motorised focus and sound.

I have one of these in my grubby hands, and will be doing a review of it when the weather cooperates.
FYI: the web site does not yet show 5231ze as End Of Line.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was wrong about the new 2231 (S2) being part of the new "Lite AI", .. it's still part of the older "Lite" series.

The new "Lite AI" series (3x41 models) look like they have varifocal turrets with microphones.

4MP

2MP
You star aristobrat, that's just the ticket as its motorised vertical. Winner!

And it has a mic.

Therefore, even better than the 5x31's although for this indoor use, the older series would have suited.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I have one of these in my grubby hands, and will be doing a review of it when the weather cooperates.
Looking forward to your review looney:)

It was Andy who said they're no longer available. I'd buy the older if I could although improvements are always welcomed.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I have one IPC-HDW3241T-ZAS on order; will be interesting how the AI turns out. The 5231 models have evolved through several updates. I consider the IPC-HDW3241T-ZAS to be its offspring and will be the new popular varifocal turret for this year, 2020. Its too bad we're not seeing a 4mp with 1/1.8" varifocal turret anytime soon, lol. Might just make the quantum leap, slap 4K but with larger sensor in a turrret foam-factor and call it a day. :rofl:

Clark Griswald

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I have yet to fully test my newly acquired IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, but was pleased The Wife gave approval for use as a front door camera.
I like the upgraded specs of this camera (3241T) in comparison to my (5231R). The smaller size will be an asset as a front door camera.
Post at your leisure, and Thank You for the informative reviews.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
No, this model only meets the "minimum" specs to qualify for Dahua's proprietary Starlight classification but the amount of light entering the lens is still far less. You won't be able to get the absolute best night time performance with the 5mp model. You have to buy sensor type and size, most importantly. Between the 5mp and 2mp model, you'd be better off with the 2mp model.

How about this one?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
When it boils down to resolution, yes it does, there are other facts as well depending on the sensor being used. Also, steer away from the 1/3" sensors unless you are on a strict conservative budget.

There is a big difference between 1/2.8 and 1/2.7 sensor?