"Hardware" question - exterior conduit and WAF concerns

Reaction score
So, I'm wanting to place a camera monitoring my front porch/door. It will be protected from the majority of the external elements by virtue of the porch roof and framing. My concern comes in getting the Cat-6 POE cable to the camera, while achieving some reasonable amount of Wife Acceptance Factor. Everything is painted white, and I'm aware that painting conduit helps it blend/fit in with the surroundings. That being said, what conduit would you suggest for the purpose? A simple choice of 1-inch Schedule 20 PVC? Or something different, and for what reasons? Many thanks in advance.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A simple choice of 1-inch Schedule 20 PVC? Or something different, and for what reasons?
Wiremold raceway is often used in lieu of exposed conduit for a neater and cleaner appearance. There are different sizes and transition pieces to adapt to conventional exposed conduit applications. Note though this is not an exterior rated product.

Power-Rated Raceway, 400, 800, 2300 | Legrand

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have all options to run it in wall been exhausted?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you're running conduit, 1/2" EMT, painted would be my choice.

Reaction score
Have all options to run it in wall been exhausted?
I'd be doing it myself, and don't want to start cutting into the boxing. I'm fairly certain there are LVL beams occupying most of the space behind the fascia. I realize I could drill/cut very small holes and use a fiberglass fishing rod to find out (it's about a six-foot run) but the wife would have a fit if she saw me cutting/drilling into the wood. I'm thinking the plastic variety of Wiremold would be a good low-profile approach that minimizes any possibly distracting appearance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be doing it myself, and don't want to start cutting into the boxing. I'm fairly certain there are LBL beams occupying most of the space behind the fascia. I realize I could drill/cut very small holes and use a fiberglass fishing rod to find out (it's about a six-foot run) but the wife would have a fit if she saw me cutting/drilling into the wood. I'm thinking the plastic variety of Wiremold would be a good low-profile approach that minimizes any possibly distracting appearance.
Consider calling someone out there who does this for a living, they may be able to do it with minimal damage if any..would look much better long term...