Hardware ok?

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Been running Blue Iris as a VM for years. I know that's not optimal. I'm adding cameras and want a more optimal setup. Going to rebuild my VM host and move everything off.

Here's the hardware. Good enough for Blue Iris? (I know it's overkill in some areas like RAM)
  • 3rd Gen Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • 32GB RAM
  • Seagate 750GB Hybrid drive
  • 5 cameras currently (some 1080p 2MP, some higher than 1080p at 4MP), with plans to go to around 10
Plan to buy some WD Purple drive(s) at least for more days storage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Been running Blue Iris as a VM for years. I know that's not optimal. I'm adding cameras and want a more optimal setup. Going to rebuild my VM host and move everything off.

Here's the hardware. Good enough for Blue Iris? (I know it's overkill in some areas like RAM)
  • 3rd Gen Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • 32GB RAM
  • Seagate 750GB Hybrid drive
  • 5 cameras currently (some 1080p 2MP, some higher than 1080p at 4MP), with plans to go to around 10
Plan to buy some WD Purple drive(s) at least for more days storage.
will work fine

bigjoe99

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a dozen cams running off a friend's Xeon 1225 running pretty much constant recording. Maybe uses that old clunky processor at 25%. So, that i7-3770k is over kill...which is 'guy speak' means run and not walk to get it :)
A bit if a side bar here, but one reason I got out of consulting and and opened my own business outside of IT is I got sick of being told I had to ram VMware and virtualization down the throats of small business. It makes zero sense to run things like utility / security servers on solo VMware hosts because a dedicated PC will do it better, and often at much cheaper costs. I don't get why all these small shops are running VMware on one or two hosts and thinks there's a benefit. For the price of a middle of the line Dell server that meets all the hardware compliance for VMware I can buy half a dozen small desktops that will run BI and keep 5 of them in shrinkwrap. I can then buy any SATA drive I want...back the server up with anything I want....etc.

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Was going to use that SSHD for the OS/clip DB (instead of buying new SSD) and WD Purple 8TB for video.

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow SSDs are cheap now. Last I shopped SSD was like $100-150 for 240GB hahaha. Maybe I should just get a new drive. :)

bigjoe99

n3wb
Reaction score
250 is great....120 also works if the box is only running BI. One of my Win 8.1 BI machines consumes only like 21GB on the system drive after running a couple of years with service pack bloat as well. Picked up a 120GB Crucial at Best Buy for like $37 bucks on sale. Cloned the OS drive over in 10 minutes - booted back up - done. BI is indeed snappier.