I have set my Blue Iris machine up according to these posts:
@SouthernYankee's Standard Allocation Post
@SouthernYankee's post in the thread Blue Iris settings issue

Like this - (where D: is dedicated to Blue Iris):
c:\BlueIris\db​
D:\BlueIris\New​
D:\BlueIris\Stored​
D:\BlueIris\Alerts​

In my past life of setting up servers & client machines I typically set them up like the following (unless the application was written so that there was not a way to move application data (log files, internal db, application temp files, disk space utilization, etc.)).

This was done for various reasons (Backup, performance, separation of usage, disk space utilization, etc.)
  • Boot Drive (SSD or NVME drive):
    • OS/Application Executables
  • 2nd Drive (SSD or Fast hard disk):
    • Application Data (log files, internal db, application temp files, etc.):
    • OS Paging file
    • OS Temporary Files directory
  • 3rd Drive (Large hard disk):
    • User Data
I was going through my "old hardware box" and found an older 256gb SSD drive (Samsung SSD 840 Series).

So is there a reason not to install this drive as the D: drive and move the BI db to this drive along with the OS paging and OS temporary files directories?

Thanks,

Eric

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most will put the OS, BI and the BI DB on their fastest drive, which for most is the SSD or NvME.

If you have two SSDs and want to put windows on one and BI on the other that is your choice, but it really isn't necessary.

Just make sure you follow the advice above regarding STORED and do not set BI up to move files from NEW to STORED on the same drive. It should only move to STORED if it is going to a NAS. If you have two internal HDD, the better practice is to split your cameras up across the drives instead of using one for NEW and one for STORED.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I set up the disks exactly like @SouthernYankee outlined in his responses in the 2 threads listed.

Is there a recommendation for when to start splitting cameras to different drives? Just based on storage capacity or on disk throughput or something else?

Thanks,

Eric