[Hack Job] Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF - How to add a 2nd 3.5-inch HDD

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am building a second Blue Iris machine for my daughter's new house. I've got a Dell Optiplex 7050, 256GB SSD, and a WD Purple 18TB harddrive. (Actually, this will be my machine and I'll hand over my existing HP Prodesk, 8TB WD Purple, to my daughter.) Anyway, there is an option to add a second 2.5 inch harddrive (I'm going by this Youtube help guide) that replaces the existing DVD/CD drive.

Are there any negative factors to be considered in adding a 2.5-inch drive, for surveillance purposes?

My current system (8TB drive, using 7TB for BI) with 13 cameras (all but one are 5442's) I get around 8 days of recording. I've estimated that with the 18TB drive I should get around 18 days of recording. If I add a second harddrive, I wouldn't mind getting to around 21+ days of recording.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many people have had issues with 2.5" drives for surveillance. Just get the WD Purple and tape it inside lol.

Reaction score
Many folks use non-surveillance rate drives for BI video with no problems. But there are some drive versions that have inherent issues when you try and review video as other video is being recorded. @Flintstone61 has experience on this and probably can give his point of view.

I have not tried a 2.5" drive for BI video. I fully believe in continuous recording. I have 22 cams writing to three 10TB WD purples and have never had any issues reviewing video, scrubbing, etc has never had a problem. But I would not chance using non-surveillance rate drives in my BI server.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The issue isn't if the 2.5" is durable. Sure they are durable. And sure some here have used them with no problem for their cameras. But they really aren't designed for 24/7 operation.

And some have found they can't keep up with the 24/7 constantly writing needs of surveillance cameras.

We had a member here about a year ago had an 11th gen that the CPU was pegging at 100%. It was the 2.5" drive couldn't keep up. When he replaced it with surveillance grade his CPU dropped to single digits.

The fact of the matter is the 7050SFF has the room for a 3.5" drive. Maybe it isn't in a proper cage or whatever, but we are not carrying this computer around so duct tape it inside and move on.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, so now I'm looking at installing a second 3.5 inch drive, a third if power requirements are suitable.

My first problem is that the power lead to the Optical drive is only a 2-wire lead, whereas the 3.5-inch drive the power lead is a 5-wire lead. I've checked the power lead from the motherboard (image attached) and I notice that the red wire has been spliced in two from the source end or plug end. The black wire is not spliced and runs directly into the 6-wire plug. So, both the 3.5-inch and Optical drive have their own black wire from the plug. Am I correct that if I obtain another 3.5-inch plug (5-wire lead) I merely splice into the existing wires, colour for colour? For the red & black leads I would merely use the existing red & black leads from the Optical drive, no need to splice.

If I consider a third 3.5-inch drive, for the black wire, would I also merely splice into one of the black wires from the plug?

I'm thinking of three drives as on the motherboard there are three SATA ports. Would there be enough power to power three drives.

What are these leads, plugs called so I can purchase from either Ebay or Amazon?

ps. I'll follow-up later with best way to hack an install, this early stage I'm thinking externally, drilling a hole through the lid and then mounting on the lid, duck tape as suggested earlier.

20230312_095831.jpg

20230312_100309.jpg

20230312_100359.jpg

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
the Power circuit on the board may not provide 3 drives with enough power, since it wasnt designed to do that might be a gamble.
start with 2 maybe and research the power situation.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The 7050 Dell should have an option to use an M.2 NVME drive on the motherfboard. this would free up the other space to use a 3.5" HDD if you take the 2.5 adapter out of that bay. I beleive.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can get more than 18 days of recording with 13 cams, if you can slow the data onto the drive a bit more. like use Substreams where you can, and drop the FPS on cams where can afford to.
I'm seeing where i can go back to December 2022 on my 8 TB drive. with 9 cams with 5-5MP cams 2 4MP cams and 2-2MP cams.
1678636984866.png

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 7050 Dell should have an option to use an M.2 NVME drive on the motherfboard. this would free up the other space to use a 3.5" HDD if you take the 2.5 adapter out of that bay. I believe.
Yep, I already have the M.2 chip, 256GB. Even removing the Optical drive, I can't see where I could easily 'duct tape' a second 3.5-inch drive inside the unit. My original question was in relation to using a 2.5-inch drive, as a second drive to my 3.5-inch drive, for surveillance purposes but then it was suggested it might not be a good idea, why not just use a second 3.5-inch drive and be creative with installation.

Thanks for the follow-up posts with the manual.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can get more than 18 days of recording with 13 cams, if you can slow the data onto the drive a bit more. like use Substreams where you can, and drop the FPS on cams where can afford to.
I'm seeing where i can go back to December 2022 on my 8 TB drive. with 9 cams with 5-5MP cams 2 4MP cams and 2-2MP cams.
View attachment 156614
Yes, thanks for the info. I do in fact have some cams that are not overly critical, and they are all at the back of my house. I haven't yet needed to check or investigate further any activity at the back of my house. Actually, over two years, I've only had a couple of suspicious things occur at the front of the house but not related to me. My fear is, I'd hate to record something knowing it could have been recorded at quality and then it happens to become important footage. But, yes, my back yard cams would be the first to be downgraded if I wanted more days on my 8TB drive.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the Power circuit on the board may not provide 3 drives with enough power, since it wasnt designed to do that might be a gamble.
start with 2 maybe and research the power situation.

Thanks for the link, I followed it and then checked others. What my concern now is, I think, and I could be wrong, but my plug to the motherboard is a 6-pin plug and the associated power plug for the 7050 mini-tower are 8-pin. My motherboard photo above shows the vacant 6-pin slot. I'll research further, get the manual for the 7050 mini-tower and tower (if there is one) and check there. As I said, I could be wrong, it's just that in other Ebay links for equivalent products I noticed 8-pin plugs.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
BUmmer on the Pinout being different. back to creative wire management I guess. maybe one from a previous model might have it. like a 9020 SFF or something.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
6pin sized connector, although its only using 5. that and it has the idiot-proof plug design with funny shaped plastic.