Guide on how to use wireless router as a wireless/repeater bridge between three wireless ip Cameras and a wireless NVR

Temwo

n3wb
Reaction score
Good day,
I've setup a completely wireless cctv system with 8 wireless cameras (all cameras have just power ports with no physical LAN ports). 5 of these cameras are connected to the wireless NVR and are working fine but 3 cameras are out of the NVR's wifi range.

I tried connecting thses 3 cameras through my tp-link Tl-Mr3420 wireless router as a bridge to the wireless NVR but they all seem not to communicate with themselves and I think there's something I have gotten right andI need your help.

Below are my present settings:
The NVR has two different ip addresses:
a. Basic:
Network: (static ip)
ip address: 192.168.0.110,
subnet: 255:255:255:0
gateway: 192.168.0.1

b. Network status:
ip status: 172.20.18.3
gateway status: 172.20.18.1
DNS1 status: 172.20.18.1(connected)
Network status: Ethernet connected
Network speed: 100Mbps

The 5 working ip cams:
ip addresses are 172.20.18.12 to 172.20.18.16 range. Static ip

The 3 not working ip cams:
ip addresses are 172.20.18.17 to 172.20.18.19 range. Static ip

The Tp-link TL-MR3240 (router)
Ip address: 192.168.0.24
gateway: 192.168.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

I've changed the routers to:
ip address: 172.20.18.2
gateway: 172.20.18.1
submask: 225.225.225.0
and DHCP: off

Thanks

Temwo

n3wb
Reaction score
Please urgent suggestions needed for the above tread, thank you all in positive anticipation

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Please urgent suggestions needed for the above tread, thank you all in positive anticipation
Although this forum is not for urgent emergencies (there are good governmental programs for that ;);)), please do not spam the forum and individual members of this forum for help. As sent through PM: give us at least a networking diagram to understand what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks.
CC

Temwo

n3wb
Reaction score
Although this forum is not for urgent emergencies (there are good governmental programs for that ;);)), please do not spam the forum and individual members of this forum for help. As sent through PM: give us at least a networking diagram to understand what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks.
CC
@catcamstar
Thanks for your prompt response and appologies spamming wasn't my intent.

Pls find attached illustration of the situation.
The five cameras attached through wifi to the NVR are working perfectly but the router is not connecting to the NVR neither are the three cameras connecting to the router which id's tree only means of connecting due to proximity.

Attachments

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Apologies accepted ;-)

Your drawings do help, but I'm unsure why you put a "dotted" line between that wifi-NVR and the TPlink wifi router?

Can you tell us which type of NVR you got, because you describe it as a "wifi repeater", but is this thing really a repeater (or just a wifi client device of your TPlink).

To debug, you can already start doing couple of things:
- if you connect with your laptop to the TPlink wifi router, can you "ping 172.20.18.14" ? If that works, you know (to start) that the wifi link between TP link and that first cam is OK.
- try to ping the interface of that NVR: "ping 172.20.18.3". Does that work? That should work, otherwise your NVR cannot see the TPlink (and cannot see those 3 cams)
- try to ping the underlying cams (eg ping 172.20.18.13). Does that work? I bet 1$ that that will not work.

Then you connect your pc to the wifi of that NVR, and you test the ping to the same 3 addresses. Then I'm suspecting the first one to fail, and the others to succeed.

What does bother me is that you do have a working internet connection (hence the connected state of the DNS), because if I was you, I ditched the 192.168 address and "forced" 172.20.18.3 in the NVR itself. That may already solve all your issues in the first place...

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you diagrame IP addresses do not match your problem description. You have cameras labeled 172.20.18.31 and 172.20.18.24. These are not in the problem description. Also some of the cameras defined as working are on the TP-link but defined in the problem as not working. Rework the diagram with the correct IP addresses.

Also what are the wifi channels and sidd for the NVR and TP-LINK.
How is the TP-LINK connected to the NVR ? WIFI ?

What are the distance between the the cameras and the tp-link and NVR?

Last edited:

Temwo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a lot everyone for your prompt responses,
1. The wifi NVR model is: WNVR2008-B1
I feel the 192.168.0.1 ip address is for internet when connect to a router through its LAN port.

The following ip cameras are connected to it n working:
i. 172.20.18.24, 172.20.18.31,172.20.18.13, 172.20.18.15 & 172.20.18.16

2. The dotted lines indicate/represent the iintended network route/path.
The pink box shows the wifi extent of the wifi NVR, while the blue box indicates that of the Tp-link.
3. The Tp-link is what I intend to use as the wifi NVR's repeater/ AP/extender so as to reach this remaing cameras:
i. 172.20.18.12, 172.20.18.14, 172.20.18.17 which at the moment are offline.
And neither is the Tp-link connected via 4g to the internet(pls disregard illustration)

3. What other settings is required beyond the ip address that will make the NVR on 172.20.18.3 and Tp-link on ip 172.20.18.2 and both on the same subnet mask and gateway to communicate?

4. For the NVR I don't seem to find where to set those unlike with the tp-link which is "house net" channel 9 because both are on 2.4ghz frequency.
It's like the cameras knows how to find the NVR once set and within range.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you check whether this manual applies for that model of NVR?
If that is the case, I cannot deduct that your NVR is effectively able to "extend" the wifi, which explains the disconnect with these 3 other cams.

What I would do: in 1 of the 4 ports (labeled: wired connection to cameras), put an UTP wire to your TP link (which connects by wifi to your 3 other cams). I suspect you'd see these cams then.

But for 82$ a wifi-extender-nvr-plus-4-cams, that's indeed an offer you can't refuse...

Temwo

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you check whether this manual applies for that model of NVR?
If that is the case, I cannot deduct that your NVR is effectively able to "extend" the wifi, which explains the disconnect with these 3 other cams.

What I would do: in 1 of the 4 ports (labeled: wired connection to cameras), put an UTP wire to your TP link (which connects by wifi to your 3 other cams). I suspect you'd see these cams then.

But for 82$ a wifi-extender-nvr-plus-4-cams, that's indeed an offer you can't refuse...
@catcamstar
Thanks alot for your informative suggestions, they're highly appreciated
The concern I've with the wifi - extender- nvr is if you check the ip camera imageI uploaded you'll see that it doesn't have a LAN port and for most wifi- extender - nvr I've seen requires being plugged via wire to camera 1st to be able to configure connection but if you know of one that can configure connection wirelessly, pls inbox link to me.

Thank you once again for this insightful response posted.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
@catcamstar
The concern I've with the wifi - extender- nvr is if you check the ip camera imageI uploaded you'll see that it doesn't have a LAN port and for most wifi- extender - nvr I've seen requires being plugged via wire to camera 1st to be able to configure connection but if you know of one that can configure connection wirelessly, pls inbox link to me.
Can you first please acknowledge that you got the exact same NVR as pointed out in my pdf?

If that is the case, have a look at the connection possibilities: there IS a WAN connection available at the back. One wire to the TP link and all your problems are solved.

If that is not the case, please google 2 seconds to your manual and post the link here.

Thank you!
CC

Temwo

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you first please acknowledge that you got the exact same NVR as pointed out in my pdf?

If that is the case, have a look at the connection possibilities: there IS a WAN connection available at the back. One wire to the TP link and all your problems are solved.

If that is not the case, please google 2 seconds to your manual and post the link here.

Thank you!
CC
Sorry about that.
Yes it's similar, though mine is 8 channeled & has just one LAN port as against 4 on this one but every other features are thesame.

Two questions I'll like to ask
i. How does the nvr wifi extender device work & can't this function be replicated using a Wireless router?

2. From the manual the LAN was used for web viewing of the connected ip cams but if am to use it to connect d other 3 cams how am I to go about this(though doing this wirelessly is my sorted after solution because wires can't run on the walls.)

Thank you all thus far, you all greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
You should check the range of the WiFi router. When you get a WiFi plan from your telecommunication company, they usually tell you what the WiFi range is. I think this is the problem. I'd recommend you to read this digital guide on WiFi Trends, they offer more complex answers. But, as I said, that should be the main problem. Give a call to the company, and they should be able to fix the range. If not, you'll change the plan. They'll make you do that anyway, haha. Every time I call them for a problem, they come up with a new offer!

Last edited: