Graphics cards - What do you recommend?

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The On Board Intel Graphics (Intel HD 4600) with the i7-4790K 4GHZ processor on my new build is crap. I'm going to add a dedicated graphics card. Looking for PCI Express 3.0 x 16 interface with one or two HDMI ports. I hardly know anything about the current world of graphic cards. Any good recommendations?

Got an email this morning from newegg offering this card for $90.29 (offer good for 24 hrs).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-487-026&utm_medium=Email&nm_mc=EMC-GD111914&cm_mmc=EMC-GD111914-_-index-_-Item-_-14-487-026

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It will not help your blue iris application at all...All its going to do is add heat, cost power, and add a point of failure...

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Still need some recommendations as this will resolve other issues unrelated to BI.

On the other hand, why does BI recommend premium graphics adaptor?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Depends what you need the graphics card for. I would do my best to find a fanless card with HDMI, displayport, or whatever output I needed. 4k output might be nice (DisplayPort and HDMI only).

If you aren't going to be doing any gaming or GPU-intensive work with it, it will not really matter which model -- just get something relatively new that uses an AMD or Nvidia chip.

Edit: The 750 you linked is a fairly good entry level card for gaming. Again, depending on your goal it may be too little or too much. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html --This is a great resource.

Last edited:

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Depends what you need the graphics card for. I would do my best to find a fanless card with HDMI, displayport, or whatever output I needed. 4k output might be nice (DisplayPort and HDMI only).

If you aren't going to be doing any gaming or GPU-intensive work with it, it will not really matter which model -- just get something relatively new that uses an AMD or Nvidia chip.

Edit: The 750 you linked is a fairly good entry level card for gaming. Again, depending on your goal it may be too little or too much. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html --This is a great resource.
Awesome and thanks bp2008, that is just the information I needed. No gaming, but video editing and fairly large architectural drawings. Started dealing with 4k video in last year and it is becoming more common. Any other reason to go fanless, other than noise, point of failure, power?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No, no other reason to go fanless. Noise, point of failure, and power consumption are the reasons.

If you want to feed more than one 4k display you will want a card with multiple displayport outputs. The new GTX 970 comes to mind. Assuming there are no other limits that I am not aware of, a GTX 970 should be able to feed four 4k displays at 60hz each (it has 3x DisplayPort 1.2 outputs and 1x HDMI 2.0 output). But that card is otherwise very expensive and overpowered for a non-gaming system.