GPS to PTZ ?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Crazy thought experiment or possible? Assuming my car has a GPS transponder in it that somehow (wifi or 3/4G) sends its co-ordinates every once in a while, could one set up a system with one or more PTZ cams to 'zoom in' on the car whenever it's in range?
so that no matter where I park that day/eve, there's a good chance to have a camera watching it... I think i'd need to come up with a 'map' of GPS co-ords to specific camera presets. Maybe first set up all the presets (for each possible parking spot along the block),
then for each preset, determine the GPS co-ords for that spot. Then some software would need to compare the signal from the car and find the closest PTZ preset (if any, ATM) and send the cam(s) over there. Anyone done something like this and have any experience to report?

TIA, Paul.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
GPS tracking is common in a lot of apps, but I don't believe you can gain the accuracy needed to pin point a parking spot.
Margin of error for GPS varies based on conditions, a few feet in either direction will place your car in the wrong spot.

Alternate solution is to go with a LPR setup. When your tag is found, track car until parked.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, GPS accuracy could certainly be a factor in making something like this work. i figured 2-3M accuracy would probably be OK for this application tho.

The AI required to recognize a known plate and track that car/object until it's parked (probably losing the plate along the way) sounds quite a bit more complicated to pull off...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
good ideas. maybe place some readily-identifiable object on the roof of the car (eg, a disco ball). every 15 minutes, scan all the presets (patrol all the possible spots) until you somehow identify the disco ball...

would require some sort of 'object recognition' AI...