Good value for BI hardware?

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ebay sometimes has the HP Elite i5-6500 machines quite a bit cheaper, but not always. $450 for that computer is not a great deal, in my opinion.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed, that is overpriced. You could buy that for $100 less on ebay any time of day and probably with a better manufacturer warranty included.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I saw this from Monoprice. it seems like a pretty decent choice for NVR for BI after adding a purple drive or two? Is the Intel HD Graphics 530 about the same as the newer 630 for BI?

HP ProDesk Intel Core I5-6500 3.2Ghz 4gb Mem 500gb HDD DVD-RW Win10 Pro 64bit Desktop - Monoprice.com
New day, new deals.

Here's a remarkable deal on an i5-6500 from Ebay.

If it were me, I would go for this i5-3570 from Ebay. The system is more than enough to run 10 cameras, but it is slightly less power efficient than the 6th generation processor listed above.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
New day, new deals.

Here's a remarkable deal on an i5-6500 from Ebay.

If it were me, I would go for this i5-3570 from Ebay. The system is more than enough to run 10 cameras, but it is slightly less power efficient than the 6th generation processor listed above.
It states no OS, and nothing about a windows 8 key. There is a 7 sticker, but you would need 7 media and hope the key is valid to upgrade to 10 using your link.
Also note that saying it can support 10 cameras is very misleading. It will depend on the camera resolution and frame rates used.
Finally only skylake and above support intel h.265 hardware acceleration which will likely be implemented in the future.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Win8 COA, listed pretty clearly.

These are systems that often have valid Windows licenses even built into the BIOS. Chances are Windows 8 would activate without even entering a key, and then you could update to Windows 10 for free. However, you can skip all that by building a Win 10 install media, installing Windows and then entering the Win 8 key when it asks for a valid key.

Edit: and just to be clear, the Windows 10 media downloaded from here will at this moment accept any valid Windows 7, 8, or 10 key.

If you use the link in my post above, you can install Windows 10 on any computer, without a key for free.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Win8 COA, listed pretty clearly.

These are systems that often have valid Windows licenses even built into the BIOS. Chances are Windows 8 would activate without even entering a key, and then you could update to Windows 10 for free. However, you can skip all that by building a Win 10 install media, installing Windows and then entering the Win 8 key when it asks for a valid key.

Edit: and just to be clear, the Windows 10 media downloaded from here will at this moment accept any valid Windows 7, 8, or 10 key.

If you use the link in my post above, you can install Windows 10 on any computer, without a key for free.
It cannot possible have a windows 8 coa because they dont exists on oem systems, its built into the bios. Windows 7 licenses are not built into the bios of those machines. You can see the windows 7 sticker and license on that machine in the images posted. Something is not right on at auction.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The reason there's no 8 COA is because it's all BIOS-based. Windows 8 will automatically activate on these systems.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The reason there's no 8 COA is because it's all BIOS-based. Windows 8 will automatically activate on these systems.
Yes, that is how its done if windows 8 was oem on the system..it looks like w7 was oem on that system.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
isn't the top decal the key? upload_2017-3-8_8-21-50.png

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bottom line is, if it has a Windows 7 key it will activate on Windows 10. If it is a Windows 8 key in the BIOS, installing Windows 8 and then updating to Windows 10 will work.

It is an OEM computer, so it has a valid key for it. Even if someone unscrupulous took the key on the COA and tried to use it themselves, you would call Microsoft, give them a picture of the COA and they would issue you a new key on the spot.