Getting ready to really get into my DSC alarm system.... questions about all the power connections for any alarm system

Reaction score
I will have 10-15 total devices that require power off my DSC 1832 alarm system. I know there is a mA rating for power supplies so will have to add things up to see if I have to go one larger.
Let's see... for sure 6 minimum PIR's (4 indoor, 2 outdoor), 2 glass break detectors, 2 control keypad panels, 1 Envsyalink card, 2 expansion cards.
That is 13 devices that need the DC power from my main DSC motherboard. I am at a loss at how to connect all power for 13 devices. Do folks use a couple wire nuts? Terminal strips? WAGO terminal blocks?
When try to google search about wiring power connections in alarm panels, 99% comes back as if just installing 1 device so that's no help.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a similar situation with my system here. Seven PIRs, glass break, sirens, remotes, two expansion boards and the Eyezon board. I power the remotes from and the expansion boards from the panel. Everything else is on a separate power supply with an additional two 8AH batteries. The panel has its' own 8AH battery. I forget what the output current of the supply is, but it's in the 5 amp range or higher. Testing it, everything works well, both with AC and with simulated power outages.

Reaction score
I have a similar situation with my system here. Seven PIRs, glass break, sirens, remotes and the Eyezon board. I power the remotes from the pane, everything else is on a separate power supply with an addition two 8AH batteries. The panel has its' own 8AH battery. I forget what the output current of the supply is, but it's in the 5 amp range or higher. Testing it, everything works well, both with AC and with simulated power outages.
someone on the /homesecurity reddit just said the same thing about using a separate power supply for boards vs devices. May go that route.
Just bought a couple terminal connectors to try out. I really hate having messy wiring. And I love me some DIN rails!

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I used good, old fashioned, terminal strips. One side is jumpered and the other side gets the devices. One strip for plus and another for negative.

aponte

n3wb
Reaction score
someone on the /homesecurity reddit just said the same thing about using a separate power supply for boards vs devices. May go that route.
Just bought a couple terminal connectors to try out. I really hate having messy wiring. And I love me some DIN rails!

Can you share where you sourced these?

Reaction score
Can you share where you sourced these?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I did order a 2nd power supply. Luckily, I also found out the need of another power source board ( DSC PC5204 PowerSeries Power Supply Module ) which supervises the power and also to the backup battery.