Getting IP Camera Recording off My Computer

dioable

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve got some TrendNet IP cameras (IP100W & IP110W) connected to a network switch connected to my Trendnet wireless router. I also have a Loftek Nexus that connects to the router over Wi-Fi. I have 4 cameras in all. None of these are PoE.

My PC and cable modem hook into the router also. All cameras are motion triggered and I use Blue Iris to record to my PC (XP/VISTA/7 over the years). But I also use the PC for general usage and I feel the setup burns out the PC prematurely because it has to be on all the time. I started looking at dedicated machines to try to get the recording off the PC. I want something that captures footage and allows me to view it through my network or over the Internet. I don’t believe I’d expand the network of IP cameras past about 6.

I thought of another PC, but PC machines are always updating and doing other housekeeping – I’d like something more dedicated. I was also wondering if any maker sold a stripped down PC for this purpose.

I’ve read about NVR machines, but reviewers mention certain brands of cameras. Does that mean I can’t use my hodge-podge of IP cameras on these devices unless the brands are listed?

Any advice on transferring this small network off my PC is appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@dioable, Welcome to the forum...You cannot use your cameras with NVR's as they are older cams and not do not conform to the onvif standard...even if they did, its still not certain that they will work.
A few things to keep in mind. You wont burn out your pc..that should not even be a concern.
Your cameras are very low resolution (VGA) so they dont require lots of cpu power for blue iris.
A low power mini dell like this could handle your load easily...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-Micro-Intel-4th-Gen-Core-i3-4150T-8GB-RAM-500GB-HD-Win-8-1-/231615218537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ed57c369
however, if you intend to add 6 high resolution cameras later on then you need a stronger processor...
When using a standalone NVR, you give up lots of flexibility, particularly when it comes to alerts, scheduling and camera options.
You can also simply replace all your cams with HD cameras of the same brand and use that brands NVR.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dioable

n3wb
Reaction score
If that cameras are so out of date. I'm thinking of scraping them for a setup like the Sannce 8ch Full 960H DVR. My only pause is that it is rated to 14F low temp. Will temps lower than that damage or will they just stop working?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That system is junk.. 960h,is terrible resolution.. Also it's analog...
You want 720p at minimum... 1080p preferred.. What is your budget..

Sent via Taptalk

dioable

n3wb
Reaction score
My budget would be about $500 for 4-cameras and a NVR with HD included.

dioable

n3wb
Reaction score
I've seen some 720p systems by Zmode and Annke. They same "the same". Is one better than the other brand?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen some 720p systems by Zmode and Annke. They same "the same". Is one better than the other brand?
Be careful..you want an ip system not hd over analog. Both of those companies are junk.
My advice is to boost your budget and get this http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-Cameras.product.100153164.html
Its a rebranded dahua system.
IF that is too much, get this http://www.samsclub.com/sams/qsee-4x4-secrty-sys/prod11570578.ip?navAction=
the photos are not accurate as they show analog cable but the specs indicate ip...note you will not be able to expand that system.

dioable

n3wb
Reaction score
That Sam's Club system I've also found at BJs Wholesale Club. The model number starts the same but the middle is different "
QC814-4V8-1" vs "
QC814-4H3-1". One thing I can't find is the angle of view of these cameras. The Q-See website doesn't mention it. Does anybody know?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Costco one fenderman linked to are Wide angle 72° field of view.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My budget would be about $500 for 4-cameras and a NVR with HD included.
If thats your requirements your best saving that money for beer and hookers... you will get more out of it.

the Costco Lorex link @fenderman posted is about the cheapest you can get without wasting your money on garbage.. and even then there worse than "rebranded dahuas" because they shoved the internals into there own plastic housing, a Dahua cam comes in a nice metal housing.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW/HTH

I am going PC instead of NVR so it can potentially server more purposes. $300 PC, Blue Iris $60, Hikvision cams at $90-150 per, $35 POE switch, variable cost for Network cable, maybe $40.

dioable

n3wb
Reaction score
Are the Ethernet cables sold with bundles (recorder,cameras, & wiring) different than generic Ethernet cables?
Does a setup with BNC cables imply it is an analog -- can BNC be used on a digital system?

Last edited by a moderator:

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BNC is typically for analog, yes. I would recommend against old tech in analog and get an IP camera instead. Run Cat6 to future proof the cable runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk