Genius Vision Mobile App Help

Reaction score
I have been having much difficulty trying to get the Genius Vision mobile app working away from my local network. I have it set it up and working on my local network; however, away from the mobile network the app just has a constant spinner when clicking on the same connection that was working on the local network.

I am pretty sure that all my settings on the mobile app side are correct, since I am able to successfully connect within the local network. I am directed that I do not have a setting correct on my router; however, I have set up two virtual servers on two different ports. However, I am still having trouble successfully running the Genius Vision app away from the local network.

The following link is to my Google Drive that has two images, one of the router virtual servers and the other of the system configuration of Genius Vision. Genius Vision - Google Drive Does anyone have any idea what I did to change/update to get the mobile app working appropriately?

Thank you

jjBerg

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm a Genius Vision user and have used it continuously for the last several years. I'm able to remotely access Genius Vision remotely though the GV NVR communication port: defaults to 3557. I'm not a computer network expert but I think your GV remote application can not locate on the world wide web your home network/GV NVR computer address and port. I solved this by setting up a 'DNS service' that publishes to the world wide web my DNS IP address that points to my home network address. If your are away from home network your GV application will sends out a request to connect to you home IP address by requesting form the WWW your unique Domain Name. If the DNS servers have your Domain IP address listed it will complete the connection your home IP address back to your DSL or /Modem device and ping the GV port to auto connect to your home GV NVR computer server. My solution was to set up a DNS server account and provide the account a domain name address to my home DSL/modem. You can Google 'freedns' for a free service. Setting this up the freedns DNS account is easy but if you dealing with dynamic dsl/model IP address you will need to install a small program that up dates the freedns server with your current dsl/modem IP address. Good luck.

Reaction score
I'm a Genius Vision user and have used it continuously for the last several years. I'm able to remotely access Genius Vision remotely though the GV NVR communication port: defaults to 3557. I'm not a computer network expert but I think your GV remote application can not locate on the world wide web your home network/GV NVR computer address and port. I solved this by setting up a 'DNS service' that publishes to the world wide web my DNS IP address that points to my home network address. If your are away from home network your GV application will sends out a request to connect to you home IP address by requesting form the WWW your unique Domain Name. If the DNS servers have your Domain IP address listed it will complete the connection your home IP address back to your DSL or /Modem device and ping the GV port to auto connect to your home GV NVR computer server. My solution was to set up a DNS server account and provide the account a domain name address to my home DSL/modem. You can Google 'freedns' for a free service. Setting this up the freedns DNS account is easy but if you dealing with dynamic dsl/model IP address you will need to install a small program that up dates the freedns server with your current dsl/modem IP address. Good luck.
This worked like a charm. Thank you for the information, this is something that is missing from the Genius Vision documentation for sure.