Full HD 1080p DVR Recommendations -- Yes DVR, not NVR

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been scrounging for awhile now for a basic h264 true 1080p/30fps DVR that'll actually stream live at 30fps. I posted about trying a ZOSI and am now kicking the tires on an Annke but with very limited satisfaction with either one -- to just provide a basic RTSP stream at 30fps. I have Blue Iris to handle the heavy lifting for most everything else these units offer -- which is basically all about the H265+ "Lite" thing at drastically reduced frame rates and resolutions just to provide more storage for what will be lousy video at 12.5fps anyway.

So as the frustration mounts, are there still any decent DVRs out there at reasonable prices to handle a few decent quality TVI cams for hanging off my Blue Iris server? My trusty old Swann 1590 almost pulls it off after their 2018 upgrade, but only goes as far as the 960x1080 nonsense, (though it does do it at 25fps). The other problem there is the cameras are tired 720Ps. And at 15 to 20 bucks a pop, there are some surprisingly decent true 2mp 1080p 4-in-1s out there these days -- even the night vision is quite usable.

If I'm gonna be stuck with one of the newer "Lite" ones, the ZOSI 8ch comes in at around $45 and the Annke 8TVI plus 2IP channels comes in at around $65. Both have their plus and minus trade-offs, but as cheapies go, the quality of these things seems to be decent enough for what they are and what they're for -- at least in my particular case which is hardly a mission critical application. The price certainly works even if adding a HDD after the fact. If they'd only do 30fps live streams.... Hell, I'd even be happy with 20 at this point. 12.5 ~ 15 just doesn't cut it for me.

Any tips and recommendations appreciated.

As usual, TIA.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
'Preciate the input.

Looks like this would be the Rolls Royce of a 5MP Lite box. Still chops back on the resolution and frame rates to make it all work together under one roof, though.

30fps in at full 1080p still ends up at 15fps -- exactly like the $65 Annke (minus a shit ton of other high end XVR features of course.)

I guess I need to better understand how and why that happens. Is it basically to eliminate the need for processing a separate RTSP path (to be picked off independently before hitting an encoder) in favor of rolling everything into the 264+/265+ encoding process for both main stream recording and live viewing and then picking off a live stream at the output of the encoder? Or maybe I'm missing something else real obvious otherwise? Doesn't make sense to me unless it's purely a cost consideration of the hardware design that makes all these 'lite' boxes economically feasible in the first place.

Anyway, the coax is already there and the cameras are cheap. The objective is just to beef up the old TVI rig for a live 25~30fps full 1080p stream from an econo setup that I can push through my BI server -- not compressing a whole winter's worth of birdfeeder video onto a 16 gig thumb drive! LOL

Thanks again for the link.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 12.5 ~ 15fps range is where most of the 'lites' weigh in at 1080p or greater. The cam hits 25 at 960x1080 on the older Swann DVR as reported by BI. I'd be happy with that.

What model Amcrest is that?

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool. Found that link. Just discovered the 30fps on a spec sheet I downloaded. Still reading...

Looks like around 100 bucks with no HDD. There's also a DV5M8 that seems to have the 15fps limit at 1080p.

Last edited:

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the 5. Confusing documentation, but says out front 'supports 1080 and lower @15fps', though also mentions elsewhere about the end-to-end streaming zero latency performance, etc.

So are all your cams on this unit Amcrest or a mix?

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
right now 1 hikvision ( nightowl) Costco's 5MP, and 1 4MP amcrest turret, i did get 2 Ip cams loaded up on there as well....but 1 fogged up.....
Im phasing out the DVR for IP cams

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like yours is where the 30fps starts at 1080 and stays consistent across multiple channels. Lots of complaints about the 5 only supporting 30fps for 2 channels at 1080p with any additional ones reverting to 15...

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine would be strictly TVI cams. Found a factory refurb of your unit for $114. I'm tempted, but at that point I'd probably be better off just ditching the old stuff and using the old coax as pull line for some CAT6.

Thing is, I LIKE the 2MP 1080p format for certain things, mostly near field real-time observation. I'm getting quite a bit of mileage out of a few Wyze Cams hacked for POE adapters, but that gets into 50 bux a pop all said and done when I can snag three ZOSI 1080s with nearly equal night time performance for the same price. Oh, well...

I'll keep peckin' around, but your Amcrest looks like the ticket unless I stumble across an old Hik or Dahua someplace for cheap.

'Preciate the assistance and conversation. Thx.