Front Door Camera Height

Eastwood

n3wb
Reaction score
]

I mounted a camera at about 7.5 feet by my front door. It’s not terrible, but definitely more of a top of the head shot than I’d like. It’s also very high compared to the front walkway since I have a maybe another 5 feet of steps to the front door.

For comparison, I mounted another camera closer to eye level, and a little closer to the front door. I believe this one might be better in portrait orientation, so will have to try that.

Assuming I don’t keep both, which location would be more useful? (Ignore differences in camera quality, and the low quality upload.)

The overhead camera does give a better view of packages left on the porch, but the eye level camera gives a better view of people approaching. The most common use of my front door camera is for me to see who is at the door when the bell is rung.

While I don’t expect anyone to vandalize or steal my cameras, I’m afraid people might touch the eye level camera and I’ll have to clean it or readjust if they move it.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try rotating the lower camera 90 degrees (both physically and in the software settings).

Post a picture showing where the cameras are installed.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

While I don’t expect anyone to vandalize or steal my cameras, I’m afraid people might touch the eye level camera and I’ll have to clean it or readjust if they move it.
Hi Eastwood,

I have mine mounted 5 feet high pointing straight towards anyone stepping up to the door. It is a Dahua OEM starlight mini-dome wedge I picked up from Andy. It is nice and solid to any potential minor vandalism. Painted the cover to match the wall and it looks nicer now.

I have another camera covering the steps on the side, one slightly above, this way to reach my front door you would need to go through 3 camera zones. I would recommend having at least 2 cameras covering the approach to your front door.