FPS lower than expected on just BI

bignose3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have a SV3C camera 5mp but have reduced.
BI reports 12.50 fps

VLC & onvif reports 25+FPS as per camera setting
viewing via VLC also shows smooth video so must be close to 25fps

viewing through BI direct is jittery so assume is the 12.5 fps.

lowered camera source to 0.4 mp & still 12.5 fps
40mb buffer

tried video source as per SV3C camera & also foscam "find"

tried every combination of decoding.

pretty fast i7. 16mb windows 10
All wired gigabit

other cameras can manage 20+fps.

Any ideas
thanks I/A

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
SV3C does not allow actual full control of frame and bit rates. Their firmware plays with what you set to produce a "good" image. They also play with exposure and gain to produce a "good" picture. The bottom line is that SV3C is a consumer grade camera. Look into a Dahua or Hikvision where you can actually control all the parameters of the camera. Manufacturers that play with the settings in firmware like that have cameras that produce blurred, mushy, video at night which is generally when good video is needed most. If it's any consolation, you're not the first or only person to find this out the hard way. I still have an SV3C POS camera on my system.

Speeds faster than 15FPS are just not needed for surveillance video. Hollywood uses 24FPS for movies. Surveillance isn't going to be viewed in a theatre near you. As long as a good identification can be made that's all that's needed.

Don't chase megapixels, either. Chase sensor size first, then resolution. Minimum sensor size/resolution sizes -

720P - 1/3" = .333"
2MP - 1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet)
4MP - 1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball)
8MP - 1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round)

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of use run cameras at 15 FPS for surveillance .
What is your CPU , I7 is not enough information
All my original SV3C cameras are in the garbage, they are useless junk for surveillance.

provide a screen shot of
1) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) cameras, full frame screen shot including the totals on the bottom left of frame
2) Blue iris status clip storage tab
2) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns