Fored to use QuickTime Player - but can't

Springer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
During setup for a camera, the web interface asks me to install QuickTime even though I am using a browser that supports H.264 directly. It also says my browser is too old which is incorrect. I've tried ODM, FF, Chrome, IE11 and Edge.

The Onvif Device Manager's Web menu says the browser needs updating even though it uses IE11 and ironically shows a live cam image behind the message. Then it offers to install an active-x component called X.CAB. Not too sure if that is a good idea. Any of the ways I've tried I did could not get past the must use Quicktime prompt which spawns the Apple website.

Do I need to install an older version of xx browser to access the web interface?

ISpy connects to the camera and streams but I still need to be able to change some settings like GUI stuff.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers

Springer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.
Pale Moon does display the stream without error or requiring an ActiveX component but does not let me see parts of the web interface that have the Device Setup tabs. I can see the DEVICE CFG tab when IE is prompting me to download <

Searching turned up similar threads but no answers.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What camera?

Post a screenshot

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
IE 11 (and maybe 10 too, I forget) changed the user agent string so that a lot of older web servers won't recognize it as internet explorer anymore. That is probably what you are up against. Try pressing F12 to open IE's developer tools, then on the Emulation tab, change the document mode and user agent to IE9.

Springer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
IE 11 (and maybe 10 too, I forget) changed the user agent string so that a lot of older web servers won't recognize it as internet explorer anymore. That is probably what you are up against. Try pressing F12 to open IE's developer tools, then on the Emulation tab, change the document mode and user agent to IE9.
Thank you for the response this was really the key to getting past these problems. I managed to find the installation manual and it basically recapped what you mentioned here, explained it well enough and also suggested an option for using Firefox.

The camera brands were left out because they are the cheapest generic 1080p 2MP IP cameras. Not sure if these are even the real manufacturers but NVT and NVSIP are the brands that the Onvif Device Manager reports. Really there are very few choices when it comes to black cameras. Most seem to be HDA. I could not find any black Hik or Dahua cams on eBay. Amcrest does offer a better color selection but are they worth triple the price of the generic cams? Some people on this board are extremely biased toward Hik cameras so I guess I can expect the "buy a Hik and fix it with a can of black paint" remark.:screwy:

Last edited: