Flex Seal to Weatherproof

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm installing several outdoor cameras today and want to make sure the connectors are watertight as possible with the supplies I have. Has anyone used Flex-Seal on the RJ45 or DC pigtail?

Then wondering should I first use the waterproof coupler first, should I use electrical tape and then spray....?

Thanks in advance.. Bill

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Small dab of Di-electric grease on the male RJ45 just prior to plugging in.
Then use coax seal wrapped per directions.
Get it here.
Then tightly wrap Scotch 33+ electrical tape over the top of the coax seal.
Thanks, I did see coax seal mentioned in other threads; unfortunately I didn't think of it sooner. My di-electric grease did arrive this morning.

I do have a can of white Flex Seal which will definitely seal the connector; just wanted to check if anyone had any negative experiences doing so.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ShawnInPaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the same issue/question as I am installing a pair of PTZ cams on a single horizontal arm affixed to a tower (hence found this thread). I would have thought there would be something that would be more durable and less messy in the event the connections or cams needed servicing? In my case, the cat5 connections and 12VDC connections will be running horizontal from the tower to each camera. For the life of me I cannot find a suitable junction box that solves , what should be, a simple issue.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the same issue/question as I am installing a pair of PTZ cams on a single horizontal arm affixed to a tower (hence found this thread). I would have thought there would be something that would be more durable and less messy in the event the connections or cams needed servicing? In my case, the cat5 connections and 12VDC connections will be running horizontal from the tower to each camera. For the life of me I cannot find a suitable junction box that solves , what should be, a simple issue.
What exact cameras?

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Flex Seal may be a "little" difficult to get off without damaging things should you experience a problem with a camera. I'd say to wait until you get some coax seal or another self amalgamating tape and some 33+.

Lowes and Home Depot both carry a similar tape so it is available locally as well.

ShawnInPaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

ShawnInPaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Flex Seal may be a "little" difficult to get off without damaging things should you experience a problem with a camera. I'd say to wait until you get some coax seal or another self amalgamating tape and some 33+.

Lowes and Home Depot both carry a similar tape so it is available locally as well.
Thank you Sebastian. After looking at them again I may go this route.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Much better choice. I've used a flex seal type product on conduit when going from PVC to sealtite, but that's a permanent connection. The RJ on a camera isn't really "permanent".

ShawnInPaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how high up are those cameras and what bands do you normally work?
You have a good eye. :)

The cameras are about 30' off the deck.

I'm mostly on 2 meters/440 but do operate HF. I also operate a remote base located on a mountain top here in San Luis Obispo county (California). Currently my radio room is empty during a renovation project at the house. Hope to have it rebuilt before the summer is out.

DE WB6JWB

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I used to work 2 meters and 440 as well. Installed an maintained repeaters on both bands and a 220 repeater as well. There was very little interest n 220 so that one only stayed up for about a year. The 2 meter and 440 were permanent fixtures for a long time though. I lost interest when the FCC changed the licensing requirements and, IMHO, devalued the license to be worth nothing.

ShawnInPaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have just used 2” wide silicone tape. Forms to everything and when stretched, seals to itself and is water tight. No issues and removal is unpeel or knife it open and no residue on connector.
That stuff looks great; thanks for the pro tip.