Firmware for Laview NVR LV-N9808C8E?

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm curious if anyone here has may have gotten the latest or close to the latest version of the LaView LV-N9808C8E firmware?

I saw some people were able to get a copy of V3.4.93 Build 170816 though not sure what was the release date for that firmware. I tried contacting LaView support and they wouldn't budge on giving me their latest firmware. Their latest firmware publicly available for download was released back in early 2016.

Thanks in advance!

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
3.4.62 might be the latest you'll ever find.

Reaction score
3.4.62 might be the latest you'll ever find.
Thanks but unfortunately, I'm looking for newer versions, esepcially in 2020. Some person on the forums was able to get a newer beta version of the firmware simply because a customer service rep provided them that firmware (it was not publicly available but I guess the customer service rep didn't mind or something?) but I have had 0 success in contacting that member here.

If I cannot find a newer firmware, I might as well ditch LaView... =\

Reaction score
Hello,

Just keeping this alive in the hopes that if someone does have a newer firmware and see this thread, they can share it here.

Thanks.

JonDC

n3wb
Reaction score
Would be great to know where you saw that latest FW at! Was it posted here with screenshots?

sixsevenco

n3wb
Reaction score
Here you go. LaView sent me this link in an email in 2019. Not a very official way to distribute a firmware... This should be V3.4.93 build 170821.

digicap.dav (dropbox.com)

IMPORTANT EDIT:
I was contacted by another forum user via PM, and he told me that this firmware messed up his NVR. It worked for me, so use at your own risk.

LAVIEW.png

Last edited:

sixsevenco

n3wb
Reaction score
So, I'm a little late to the party regarding the RCE vulnerability that was discovered (June 2021) for Hikvision devices. I have a LaView branded NVR and cameras. I have some simple questions that I'm hoping someone here can answer/confirm.

I have manually assigned an IP address for my NVR on my router. If I disable internet access for my NVR on my router, I believe that this RCE vulnerability for both my NVR and cameras is then a non-issue, correct? If the devices are behind my firewall, and they can't see the internet, how could someone execute remote code? Is it that simple? Any downsides?

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If there is no internet access, there will be no remote attack.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If I disable internet access for my NVR on my router
Outbound, presumably?
Be aware that this will also disable time sync if you are using an internet based time server, and also email alerts if this is something that you have configured and rely upon.

Also - check if your router has UPnP enabled, and if so, disable it. Many do, by default.
If it's enabled, and it's also enabled on any LAN-connected device, such as Hikvision cameras, that used to have it enabled by default, inbound access (port forwarding) from the internet can be automatically activated without your knowledge.

It can be reassuring to confirm there is no inbound access you're not aware of by using one of the many services that can check this, such as ShieldsUp!
Use the 'All service ports' check in the first instance.

sixsevenco

n3wb
Reaction score
Outbound, presumably?
Be aware that this will also disable time sync if you are using an internet based time server, and also email alerts if this is something that you have configured and rely upon.

Also - check if your router has UPnP enabled, and if so, disable it. Many do, by default.
If it's enabled, and it's also enabled on any LAN-connected device, such as Hikvision cameras, that used to have it enabled by default, inbound access (port forwarding) from the internet can be automatically activated without your knowledge.

It can be reassuring to confirm there is no inbound access you're not aware of by using one of the many services that can check this, such as ShieldsUp!
Use the 'All service ports' check in the first instance.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I have an Asus router; while it's certainly blocking inbound traffic, I'm not sure how it handles outbound. I'll need to take a look at that. I have Home Assistant providing NTP time sync and NVR alarm notifications to my phone. I do have an open port on my router to my Home Assistant server...

I'll double check UPnP, but I'm pretty sure it's disabled on my router, NVR, and cameras.

Thanks for the recommendation on ShieldsUp. I'll check it out.