FI8910W continually reboots; no camera image between reboots

martinu

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I know the answer, but I'm asking just in case I'm wrong.

I have an FI8910W (firmware 11.37.2.55 and web UI 2.4.10.9) which has worked fine for several years but has just started rebooting continually. In the brief period between one reboot and the next, I can get into the web interface which looks normal except that (in Server Push or Mobile Phone modes) the camera image is a black rectangle. The camera stays up for about 1 minute before rebooting itself and doing its normal routine of panning the camera left/right and up/down. The IR LEDs turn themselves on and off correctly depending on ambient light and I can control them from the web UI. I can pan/tilt the camera - so some things work fine. I've replaced the PSU with a known-good one: by chance both the PSU for this camera and the one for another identical camera both failed (5 V no-load, but only about 2 V with the camera plugged in) so I bought a third-party PSU for the good camera.

I suspect that the camera chip or the connection to it has failed and this is triggering the firmware to reboot in the forlorn hope of being able to clear the fault.

Is the camera beyond repair, or is there any other diagnostic I can try? It probably doesn't stay up long enough to risk trying to update the firmware. I've been able to reset it back to factory state - partly so I can safely throw it away without the risk of someone being able to read the wifi WPA key etc.